A Question For Working Dog Breeders/owners

yes there are herding workshops and trainning in S.A i don't know what breed of dog you have so just try gooling SA sheepdog Ass and it will come up but the kelpie and border clubs in other states will also have links for their SA clubs, i own koolies so i don't follow what these other clubs are up to with the herding side of things.

Edited by royalla

The Canine Association has herding days occasionally (well mornings) but a lack of access to stock transport has limited them to duck days recently. They are hosting a herding trial at the end of the month, well as long as the weather cooperates.

To participate in the canine sessions you have to be a member of SACA and the dog registered with the canine.

Hopefully Piper will come along and post here, otherwise drop her a PM as she is on the herding committee for SA and can probably tell you more than I.

The Canine Association has herding days occasionally (well mornings) but a lack of access to stock transport has limited them to duck days recently. They are hosting a herding trial at the end of the month, well as long as the weather cooperates.

To participate in the canine sessions you have to be a member of SACA and the dog registered with the canine.

Hopefully Piper will come along and post here, otherwise drop her a PM as she is on the herding committee for SA and can probably tell you more than I.

Yeah, all that. lol

We are hoping we may have some other stock we can access for next year, after my bit of a moan in the journal we had a few people contact us so we will talk further with them over summer to see what we can sort out.

Otherwise there is a guy at Mt Compass - 3 sheep trialling man who also does ANKC herding - who gives lessons on a Saturday morning, it is where i go when I can get there. There is also a lady out at Burra - again does 3 sheep and ANKC. IF you want contact details for either of these PM me and I will send you their numbers.

The SA Working Sheepdog Assoc also used to run once a month training days at Farrel Flat and somewhere else. Last I heard though they were not doing as many of these - fuel prices. stock access, available helpers impacting on these. There are also a few 3 sheep trialling guys around that do workshops - most of thse are country locations.

Hope that helps.