Under The Circumstances, What's Best?

Erny

The 6 month 'rule' refers to the monthly tabs, not the daily tabs. Daily tabs could be given from 8 weeks onwards, some people will hold off for various reasons. You may as well get the 6 month thing out of your head if you are going to begin daily tabs.

Yes, very very small risk, but I'd start now instead of prolonging it as now we are into summer and the temperatures aren't dropping as much.

All we used to have is the daily tabs and puppies did not drop dead from it so stop worrying :o

The main thing you have to worry about is not missing tablets.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 6 month 'rule' refers to the monthly tabs, not the daily tabs.

When I got my second dog (he was 6 months old), the vet insisted on doing a heartworm test before giving the C5.

I know better than to ever look at C5s again now - but just went along with what the vet said at the time as they said ANY heartworm prevention was dangerous if your dog had already been infected. :o

What does a heartworm test cost generally - does anyone know? I can't remember 'coz the dog at the time was a rescue and all the vacs came included in his 'package'.

When I got my second dog (he was 6 months old), the vet insisted on doing a heartworm test before giving the C5.

I know better than to ever look at C5s again now - but just went along with what the vet said at the time as they said ANY heartworm prevention was dangerous if your dog had already been infected. :o

What does a heartworm test cost generally - does anyone know? I can't remember 'coz the dog at the time was a rescue and all the vacs came included in his 'package'.

AF :laugh:

The "C5" vaccination has nothing to do with heartworm, so I'm not sure what, how or why your Vet made any correlation or mention of one bearing significance to each other.

Edited by Erny

Yes, very very small risk, but I'd start now instead of prolonging it as now we are into summer and the temperatures aren't dropping as much.

Already on it, Tess. Has been for the last 3 days. :o

All we used to have is the daily tabs and puppies did not drop dead from it so stop worrying :laugh:

Cheers! I agree that I have been 'worrying' (and was particularly concerned when I gave him his very first tab). Was more wondering why "daily" but seems you've cleared that one up for me by suggesting to not think in terms of the 6 month mozzie cycle. Thanks :love:.

The main thing you have to worry about is not missing tablets.

I know. I'm very conscious of it at the moment. Hopefully it will settle down to a matter of 'habit' but not so mindlessly as to provoke a forgetful moment.

Cool. It is actually recommended by some to vet your dog semi regularly tested (once a year maybe) for heartworm anyway. Never have myself, but I know some vets do recommend it no matter what preventative they are on.

I know better than to ever look at C5s again now - but just went along with what the vet said at the time as they said ANY heartworm prevention was dangerous if your dog had already been infected. :(

AF :)

The "C5" vaccination has nothing to do with heartworm, so I'm not sure what, how or why your Vet made any correlation or mention of one bearing significance to each other.

:nahnah: :nahnah: Laughing at myself!

Sorry, I was naughty and posting hurriedly when at work while someone was talking to me.

When I got my dog from the pound, at the time he was getting his C5, the vet also gave him an annual shot for heartworm - but they tested him first as they said it would be dangerous for him to have the shot if he already had heartworm.

Sorry for the confusion :laugh: (just keeping you on your toes Erny!)

Aaaahh. That's ok AF. I'm relieved to hear there wasn't some Vets out there who were confused with the vaccinations they themselves deliver :(.

I agree with the advice your Vet gave you.

Although I loath the annual heartworm injections.

I think i understand what you are saying Erny.... are you saying, if the daily tablets only kill day old heartworm, then what if your dog was bitten by an infected mozzie prior to starting. It is a valid question. I would ask a vet, or better still, call the company that you get your heartworm prevention from, they will be able to tell you. I know when you switch you need to give a monthly tablet the day before you start the daily ones.