Run Luckydog Run

So I decided to try and get an Endurance title with my 2.5 year old Golden Retriever.

I have never jogged in my life but thought I should give it a go.

Over the last two months we have jogged every second day, starting with just 400 meters (at which point I was gasping and ready for death) to the point where now I can jog 6km non stop (an achievement I am rather proud of).

All the way Suzie (my Golden) just trots alongside showing no sign of discomfort and ALWAYS ready for a play when we are done.

Now I am pondering, do we keep jogging 6km every second day?

Do people regularly jog with their dogs?

Does it have any long term health implications?

BTW so far we stick to the grass.

So I decided to try and get an Endurance title with my 2.5 year old Golden Retriever.

I have never jogged in my life but thought I should give it a go.

Over the last two months we have jogged every second day, starting with just 400 meters (at which point I was gasping and ready for death) to the point where now I can jog 6km non stop (an achievement I am rather proud of).

All the way Suzie (my Golden) just trots alongside showing no sign of discomfort and ALWAYS ready for a play when we are done.

Now I am pondering, do we keep jogging 6km every second day?

Do people regularly jog with their dogs?

Does it have any long term health implications?

BTW so far we stick to the grass.

First of all, CONGRATS!

I think she probably can run 6k every second day, but I think you are probably going to get injured if you just continue to run without any stretching and cross training. Google training plans 5k and 10k and you will have a better understanding of what it takes for a human to train for these distances :(

Don't know about endurance training for dogs but don't the fitness people normally suggest a varied exercise regime for us - so that we're not just toning up the same muscles all the time?

There's also something else I can barely recall from my "gym fanatical" days (would love to have that bod back again! :() where muscle development was enhanced by allowing it to rest (not for long periods, just here and there) and THEN resume the usual exercise. I think this latter ties in with the former. I'm sorry it is so vague as I can't quite remember exactly what I was taught back then.

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say congrats on such a huge achievement. Like N - mine run all day, twice a day over long distances, but I'm not training for anything, and if I was I wouldn't do more than 6kms every few days (constant running like that is different to hooning around etc).

I'm still stuck at the can't run more than 400m stage :o