Pup Eats Own Poo - Why?

Sooleng

Is there any particular reason why the puppy cannot be confined or have access outside while you are at work?

If he's required to poo inside during the day, it will be very difficult to teach him to only poo outside when you are home.

Pups aren't usually "sneaky".. but we can have lapses of concentration. Its when we have them that accidents happen.

Nekhbet i have followed your advice with my poo eating dog and it works! Cheers! thumbsup1.gif

eeeeeeexcellent ... see I dont just talk poopy after all :happydance2: the dryer and less smell the more the dog has actually digested its food and left behind literally inedible, undigestible poo! We feed such concetrated foods and then wonder why dogs naturally go back and think 'waste not want not'

dark poos are rare around here and dogs are not starving either. No smell and they scoop cleanly or crumble into the lawn.

ETA just monitor your dogs intake of edible bones because too much with no 'roughage' will cause constipation. Everything in a balance and you will be fine, its just finding that balance for your dog :laugh:

Edited by Nekhbet

Hi!

I had this problem and a few DOLers advised that I give him pineapple - we found crushed pineapple worked a treat - giving him some with his meals. It seems to have worked, and he doesnt eat his poo anymore (I can always smell it in his breath when he has, which is TOTALLY gross).

Goodluck with this yucky situation.

Melissa

One of my dogs was eating his own poo when I was feeding him Advance. I switched over the Eagle Pack mixed in with some fresh meat and vegies and this stopped him.

The act of eating poo actually comes from the ancestors (not the wolf) but the village dogs that evolved from the wolf thousands of years ago. The village dogs would eat from the garbage piles left or thrown out by the villagers. Along with left over food was also human excrement which the dogs would also consume. As disgusting as it sounds, exrement contains many vitamins that the body did not or could not metabolise. It is a rich source of vitamins for the dogs...(sounds like a TV commercial for vegemite doesn' it!)

This behaviour, whilst ancient, is still played out by our modern day dogs when they are lacking in some sort of vitamin or mineral from their usual diet. Sometimes it can be just habit and the fact that some dogs actually enjoy eating it.

Edited by Kelpie-i