Making Your Own Treats

Sheridan

I thought given the kerfuffle over Orijen and dried treats, people might have some recommendations for food dehydrators. They seem to vary enormously in price.

I've previously done turkey jerky in the oven at a very low temperature but this takes 8-10 hours. If you have the time (and hey, who does) to leave your oven on, all I did was put some fresh turkey pieces on an oven tray and cooked on 50 degrees in a gas oven - not fan forced. It came out fairly crunchy and of course, the treats only lasted a few days.

I thought given the kerfuffle over Orijen and dried treats, people might have some recommendations for food dehydrators. They seem to vary enormously in price.

I've previously done turkey jerky in the oven at a very low temperature but this takes 8-10 hours. If you have the time (and hey, who does) to leave your oven on, all I did was put some fresh turkey pieces on an oven tray and cooked on 50 degrees in a gas oven - not fan forced. It came out fairly crunchy and of course, the treats only lasted a few days.

For those who do use dehydrators, I'd also be interested in knowing how much energy/power they use as well ... thanks...

Di

We have the Ezi Dry Classic, similar to this but not as many trays.

We bought ours from Harvey Norman 3 years ago. You should be able to gets the specs off the Internet.

Suggest if you are drying liver that you don't do it in the kitchen as it is a bit pongy. Turn it on overnight. Soak the trays in the sink.

http://www.organicsaustraliaonline.com.au/prod3987.htm