Groomers - Blade Suggestions?

Koemi

Hi everyone, just wondering if I'm the only one having trouble with the new Oster blades? I've found they don't cut anywhere near as well as the old series and some of them don't fit my clipper properly. I'm using a baby pink Wahl KM2 (adding colour because it feels different to the standard black ones and might be slightly different in make).

What do the rest of you use and recommend? Is there somewhere I can buy the older Oster blades from? Or should I go with a different brand all together?

Thanks!

Blades come in and out of favour depending on the quality control at the time. Wahl had a problems a few years back and now Oster appear to be no longer the quality that they were. Many groomers have switched to Andis blades and they appear to be okay at the moment.

I have to say I have had a couple of issues with some new Osters of late. They will not go onto the clipper properly. (Wahl KM2)

I have no idea if this is a problem others are having :(

I recently bought a Wahl competition series and it is pretty good. Nearly had a heart attack at the price but I needed it and so far it has given rather nice finishes.

I have to say I have had a couple of issues with some new Osters of late. They will not go onto the clipper properly. (Wahl KM2)

I recently bought a Wahl competition series and it is pretty good. Nearly had a heart attack at the price but I needed it and so far it has given rather nice finishes.

What size was it and what did you pay?

Edited by poodle3081

What size was it and what did you pay?

I paid 69.95 at a pet store (no livestock) of all places. I was desperate, I am hopeless at getting by blades sharpened and always leave it too late.

Hi everyone, just wondering if I'm the only one having trouble with the new Oster blades? I've found they don't cut anywhere near as well as the old series and some of them don't fit my clipper properly. I'm using a baby pink Wahl KM2 (adding colour because it feels different to the standard black ones and might be slightly different in make).

What do the rest of you use and recommened? Is there somewhere I can buy the older Oster blades from? Or should I go with a different brand all together?

Thanks!

Hi there Koemi, Oster blades are sharpened in Mexico nower days as are the Osters clippers are manufactured there as well, I would think that when the blades you have (new Osters) are not sharpened properly, as the use of cheap labor to sharpen them are not experienced enough, and I don't blame the sharpeners in Mexico, they just don't have the experience, to have a clipper blade sharpened properly you need a person that has been a pet groomer for many many years, to understand the problems and know how to diagnose problems, and been a clipper blade sharpener for yonks, clipper blades sharpeners have to do their apprentiship in the industry, if any sharpener misses out on any of the process, they have no idea of what a customer(groomer) is experiencing.

When I first started to sharpen clipper blades I couldn't hear the blade when I was testing them before posting them back to the customer, but after 30 years I can here the blades actually scissoring. It takes time, the more one practices the violin the better the music is.

To find out if it is the quality of the metal or the way the blade was sharpened when new, find a proper sharpener, and have one of the blades that didn't work properly sharpened, and then go from there.

I wouldn't rush out and waste more money, Oster blades will be hard enough(carbon steel) They are no different than any other blade except for the Duralium blades which are made not to rust, and are the the same strength as Oster/Wahl/Laube, which all are made in Taiwan(cheap labor), Taiwanese can't sharpen clipper blades, and the Oster blades you ended up with had been sharpened in mexico.

You are most welcome to send me a blade, and I will put it on my automatic machine FREE if it helps you to find out what is going on. Just add a stamp for return post.

I would firstly use your Wahl on the low speed, the high speed clippers revs to high for blades to last long, at high speed the cutting is only ever done on the very tip of the blade, and then they don't last long between sharpening, this apply's to all fast revving clipper machines, the clipper blade was only ever designed 30 years ago to rev at 2100 spm(Oster) and not at 4000/5000 spm. Let me know if I can help. nicestman77.

The video below is of a automatic sharpening in action.

Automatic Hollow Grind Sharpening Machine

post-8666-1228596961_thumb.jpg

Hi there rovaround, next time you get your new Oster blades sharpened that don't fit your Wahl KM2 properly, get the sharpener to shape the SOCKET to the standard shape on each blade, so it/they will fit a Wahl KM2 clipper as well, the socket is the thing that fits to the hinge on the clipper, see pix below.nicestman77.

post-8666-1228639732_thumb.jpg

Hi there rovaround, next time you get your new Oster blades sharpened that don't fit your Wahl KM2 properly, get the sharpener to shape the SOCKET to the standard shape on each blade, so it/they will fit a Wahl KM2 clipper as well, the socket is the thing that fits to the hinge on the clipper, see pix below.nicestman77.

post-8666-1228639732_thumb.jpg

or better still send them to Colin to sharpen,he's super fast with turn around and great to deal with and know's his stuff as you can see from his replies

Oh, awesome nicestman77, thank you so much for the offer! I'll definitely send them to you, the sharpener I was talking to wanted me to send him my (brand new) clipper and reshape it so maybe the blades would fit! :love:

rovaround I'm so glad I'm not the only one having a problem!!! I was almost crying at work on Saturday after throwing one of my best blades into the sharpening bin AGAIN. It drives me nuts!

Oh, awesome nicestman77, thank you so much for the offer! I'll definitely send them to you, the sharpener I was talking to wanted me to send him my (brand new) clipper and reshape it so maybe the blades would fit! :love:

rovaround I'm so glad I'm not the only one having a problem!!! I was almost crying at work on Saturday after throwing one of my best blades into the sharpening bin AGAIN. It drives me nuts!

Koemi, the problem is the SOCKET that is wrong on your new blades, it is the way they were pressed when manufactured, all blades that we sell I always check that the blades fit all clippers, even when they are new still on the box, I always resharpen all new blades I don't trust overseas inexperience assembly workers, if any one sells new blades without making sure all is fine, they are fools, if you send them to me, I will have to reshape the socket to fit ALL CLIPPERS, not the other way around, only fitting your new Oster blades to 1 set of clippers, that way you will always have the same trouble with other clippers, and it will never end.

Don't cry, I am always here to help any groomer/DOL nice person.

If you are going to try my services(sharpening) why don't you purchase a DOL's VIP CARD, and always get 10% discount on all your sharpening from now on. Plus there are many other traders trying to offer their products to DOL members.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/vip/

I look forward to hearing from you, if you can't find me let me know, or ask other DOL members they will tell you, I am not allowed to promote myself, nicestman77.