How To (some Suggestions Please)

MAC

I have a 2 year old pet male whom while in his previous home never travelled in a car for his two years of life .. now i'm talking about a dog that's nearly 70 kilos and 82cms tall... YEP HUGE!!

how can i teach him or train him to get into the car, that it will be rewarding as we go to the beach, park etc...

any suggestions.. he's had to be sedated when arriving to me so any advise how I can get such large dog into a car without breaking fingers (as his previous owner did) or hurting the dog and most of all giving him negative experience for something that will be rewarding?

any advice i am willing to try and see how it goes.

thanks

Does he like his meals? If so, use them (incrementally as you deem the need) to encourage him to get into the car. Assuming it is a sedan, have both rear doors open to start with and don't at first try to block him in or go anywhere.

you can park the car in a yard, wedge the doors open and let the dog explore at its own leasure for a while, then put some food in, then turn engine on etc.

Take it slowly. Maybe a panel van/station wagon is easier as its less confined and feed him in the back with the door up

Is this Dante??

chevy used to be like that. we did the same sort of thing as Judi, had both the doors open, and left a little trail of food(from both doors) leading to a bowl/pile in the middle of the seats, then just let her go, and do it by herself. chevy gets worse if you watch her, or push her. so we just let her go (and made sure we remembered to turn the light off, dont want a dead battery, :D )

and after a while just left the food in the middle, then had one door closed, then eventually closed both doors and so on.

Good luck with him. i hope i get to meet him soon. :love: