How To Train Puppy On Lead

The 3 Musketeers

Hi, All

Mia is now about 12 weeks old, and we are having alot of trouble trying to teach her how to walk on her lead,plus she hates her collar and has chewed the first 2 of them. :thumbsup:

She crys whilst im trying to let her go at her own pace and just walk her around the house,but she isnt having any of it.

She sticks her bum up in the air and wont move. :thumbsup:

Im trying with treats,but she doesnt care for them whilst she has her collar or lead on,any i really dont know any other way to help this sitution with mia.

I have walked our other dog Abbey around the house hoping that mia will follow,But NO.

Its so hard,its like having a baby a new baby when your other dog is 8yrs ols toilet trained etc etc.

She does sit when ask to,still doesnt come when you call her, but she does know her name.

She is so funny it cracks me up,but this training is just not working for me. :thumbsup:

I truely need some help and advice,as she soon will be allowed down to the park once all needles have been given.

Wow! She managed to chew through two collars.. thats commendable :thumbsup:

We had a collar on Halle 24/7 right from the day we brought her home. It was non-negotiable. She used to scratch at it and wiggle around in it for a while, but she got used to it eventually... Within a week I'd say of having it on 24/7.

Have you done any training tying her up? It sucks having to do it, but we found it helped us with Halle. We used to spend time out in the yard with Halle restrained on a lead. For example, we'd sit on the grass and just chat, she'd be able to get to us but couldn't run far. It only took two sessions but she got it after about 10 mins.. she stopped trying to fight the lead and just went with it.

We also used to attach her lead to her collar inside and let her drag it around with her.. not play with it but yea, get used to it being there.. might that work?

At 12 weeks, don't even expect your dog to come every time. Halle is just 12 months this week and only 1 month ago has started to recall every time (she is a pretty dominant dog though-we never thought we'd get there!) When I say she comes every time, its with a proper, firm "Halle, Come", not an excited "Here Halle!! Come here Halle!"

Sounds like now is a good time for Mia to understand that YOU are the boss and what you say goes. Having said that, Halle only really accepted that about 2 months ago. She growled at me once when she was eating her food-she hasn't done it since and is now almost a prefectly mannered dog. I don't mean being unfair in your expectations of her, but be fair and consistent. Don't allow things to happen that you don't want to continue forever.

Just remember.. she is only 12 weeks old :thumbsup: Try sticking with it for a little longer. You're certainly not behind the 8 ball to have a 12 week old puppy who doesn't like being on a lead.. we've all been there :thumbsup:

What size collar are you putting on? If she's tiny try a cat collar and cut any length left over so she can't get at the end, she may not be able to chew that one! I managed to slip a collar on my pup when she was asleep and it hardly came off after that. Have you tried just leaving the lead on the floor and putting a few treats near it. Just ignore the lead making no fuss over it and let Mia find it. I find making a positive association of touching the collar (when it's on the dog) and treating gets the dog used to being handled in that area. When you get the lead on her just let her drag it around, don't try and pull the lead yet, let her get used to the weight of it. Can take a while with some dogs, my dog used to do an impersonation of a fish on a fishing line - flopping and rolling around when I just picked up the lead. I just let her go until she calmed down and then rewarded her for being calm and she realised that nothing was going to hurt her. Mia's still a baby and all dogs go at a different pace, be patient and I'm sure she'll get there soon!! Best of luck!

I found my chi also difficult to lead train. He just wouldn't budge - and this a potential show dog. I persisted trying to get him used to it with little success. Farthest we got was a few steps forward with me sitting on the ground with a handfull of roast chicken and calling him to me. Then I would praise like a mad woman. On the day of his first show he was a different pup. There was so much more interesting things to look and see that he did not even think about the lead at all and was quite perfect. We had no issues from then on. So after her 2nd vacc pop on the lead and collar and take her off to a park. None of my dogs wear a collar at home - only when we are going out and always with a lead attached.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=h6bX1zq5HBg

there you go, a video on how to walk your puppy on a lead and how to make it positive and easy.

by the way, when she cries dont make any noises to her as that encourages it and later on you will have the problem that she will automatically do it as she walks because it was reinforced that way.. Just walk her, give her treats, toys, and say and do nothing when she cries etc, just keep going.

Edited by kyliegirl

This worked with our puppy... Maybe it will help

We put the lead on when she was -

a) too tired to care (and watched her carefully so she wouldn't get tangled if she fell aspleep)

b) happily distracted by something far more interesting... fav toy, fun game with human, interesting smells in front yard etc

It took perserverence and dedicated distractive efforts on our behalf but was effective.

Also when your pup is able to go out hopefully it will ralise the big wide world is far more intgeresting and only accessible via the lead... (to begin with anyway!)

Edited by BelgianPup