Sneezing And Had A Tick On Her Muzzle

Hi there,

Gerda (6months, schnauzer) had a paralysis tick last Friday, but was fine (they found it at the vets when she went in for desexing). Today she was sneezing a lot, so I sent hubby out to check for something up her nose... he said nothing. I checked again ust now and found a semi-engorged paralysis tick on her muzzle. I've removed the whole thing, its wriggling in the bag here... but there was a crater in her skin. She is showing no signs of the tick - except the sneezing and sort of expelling air fast - is this just because of where it was?? I rang the vet, the recpetionist just said they couldn't advise whether to bring her in or not, but that she was showing no signs which is good. She is treated with Advantix, last dose on Friday.

Any ideas? Where we live I need to get used to this, but I mostly need to know when to worry and when not to. We treat her, and check her every night (this one must have only gotten on to her ths morning some time). She is calm and crated at the moment, next to me.

Thanks for any help,

GTS

Guest belgian.blue

Where do you live? Wondering do you know why there are so many ticks around? The weather, kangaroos?

This is something I don't have in Perth so I'm curious!

Hope she's doing ok :thumbsup:

We are just ouside Brisbane. Heaps of rain, hot weather... livestock in the area (but not near me really). The vets are always treating for ticks, there we 3 in the one hour Iwas there last time. I think this is the worst time of year for it. But I am so surprised that she must have had this last one from our garden, as we can't walk her at the moment. We only have a normal suburban size yard, no grasses, high fences... where did it come from??!@!?

It'll be fine.

I pluck them off all the time.

Watch her for up to 5 days after tick removal as they can still have adverse effects as the toxin is still in their system. No exercise etc. No need to really worry unless the tick is engorged.

My indoor cat had one last month, it must have come from me or one of the dogs. Little suckers are everywhere!

I pulled one off my thigh a couple of weeks ago and got a huge welt and bruising. The area is still discoloured and numb.

Edited by Clyde

Hi there,

Gerda (6months, schnauzer) had a paralysis tick last Friday, but was fine (they found it at the vets when she went in for desexing). Today she was sneezing a lot, so I sent hubby out to check for something up her nose... he said nothing. I checked again ust now and found a semi-engorged paralysis tick on her muzzle. I've removed the whole thing, its wriggling in the bag here... but there was a crater in her skin. She is showing no signs of the tick - except the sneezing and sort of expelling air fast - is this just because of where it was?? I rang the vet, the recpetionist just said they couldn't advise whether to bring her in or not, but that she was showing no signs which is good. She is treated with Advantix, last dose on Friday.

Any ideas? Where we live I need to get used to this, but I mostly need to know when to worry and when not to. We treat her, and check her every night (this one must have only gotten on to her ths morning some time). She is calm and crated at the moment, next to me.

Thanks for any help,

GTS

As in her general breathing is faster/laboured??