Large Dog With Narrowed Trachea

dwynwen

My akita has been diagnosed with age related upper airway disease. She has a narrowed trachea and an intermittent cough/hack associated with it.

She's on a herbal med for the cough, surgery is not an option for her due to her age (11yo) and a heart condition.

I've been walking her on a flat collar or martingale adjusted so that it doesn't compress her throat but am thinking a harness may be more comfortable for her.

I've been looking at the easywalk harness which has a leash attachment at the front rather than on the back like most harnesses.

I need an element of control as although she's not a puller, she can still bounce around some if an off-leash dog gets in her face (or she sees a snake).

I've used head collars in the past and don't really want to go back to one with her.

Anyone have any experience with harnesses for walking big dogs with throat problems?? Any product recommendations?

I've posted in health rather than training as this is more about looking after an ailing dog than training (she's pretty well behaved).

I got a harness for one of our greys when she was diagnosed with LP (and then had surgery for it). She was never a puller, but even if she had been I think this harness would have still been great. It's a "martingale" style harness, made in the US, designed not to pull against the base of the dog's throat when tightened. I think she found the harness very comfortable. I got Girlie's from 2houndsdesign - link: http://www.2houndsdesign.com/Harnesses-Tag-Collars-c-13.html.