Eating Dog Poop Question.

Guest english.ivy

Guest belgian.blue

Well Ivy eats the poo of the dog we live with .. which poops out small black sticky stuff. Normally full of the rice and carrot.

He feeds the dog cooked budget mince, sausage, ham, bacon (lots of), half cooked brown rice, grated carrot. Salt heaven. He also adds salt filled gravox too. Apparently the dog likes salt?

I've found out Ivy can't have any salt .. very very messy at the other end.

So I'm wondering would that poo still contain all of the salt from the ham and bacon?

She had the runs last night and I can't work out why, only point it to her getting some feaces from during the day. I pick it up every afternoon when I get home but he lets his dog out in the mornings when I'm not there. I'm leaving Ivy outside everyday now so she's sure to get hold of some.

Edited by belgian.blue

Guest belgian.blue

Not bothered by her eating it just if all that salt is still within the poop? The dog that small wouldn't adsorb all that salt so it must still be full of it?

Sounds like Ivy is craving salt, so therefore she eats the poo. Because it tastes good. :laugh:

Best to talk to owner of the other dog and mention that too much salt is not good for dogs. Espcially the ham and bacon can lead to Pancreatitis and can be fatal.

Guest belgian.blue
Sounds like Ivy is craving salt, so therefore she eats the poo. Because it tastes good. :laugh:

Best to talk to owner of the other dog and mention that too much salt is not good for dogs. Espcially the ham and bacon can lead to Pancreatitis and can be fatal.

Yeah read this for further info on the person I live with Visit My Website

Talking to him is pointless, he's a black canvas. So you're thinking the poo does still have salt? Just really want to find out what caused her runny tummy last night.

Oh sorry, I remember that post. Good luck then.

Yes, the poo will still have salt in it. What the other dogs body will not need, will be expelled out for your dog. Hence the running poos your dog is now experiencing.

I lost a dog through Pancreatitis, perhaps leave some pamphlets lying around. Better still stick one to his computer and chair and table and wall..........etc, etc.

I think the bulk of salt ingested would be either stored in the body or excreted through the urinary system, since it is water soluble and would travel through the membrane in the gut where fluid is extracted from the fecaes in the bowel.

However there could be some salt still in the remaining poo I am guessing.

The person is a complete idiot to be allowing the dog that much salt and the sausage, ham and bacon, would be full of preservatives and chemical additives too. Could some of that content be giving your dog the runs?

As for the solution, I see none if the person can't be convinced to change their dogs diet or pick up their dogs poos. Seperate yards perhaps?

Guest belgian.blue

Well I have just emailed him telling him to pick it up as soon as she poops. I check the lawn as soon as I get home. Also told him to look up what salt does to your dogs health.

Sadly I can't seperate them. This dog pretty much lives indoors and only goes out to poo.

Hopefully he will listen to my email .. fingers crossed.