Renal Problems And Which Food - Ridgey

SammyZ

A friend of mine has a gorgeous 10.5 year old Ridgeback who unfortunately has been quite sick recently. The vet has advised that she has renal issues and has advised to put her on a special diet. As far as I know she has been on medication and doing well :( The vet has recommended the special Renal Eukanuba, which she is currently on, but my friend is looking at other options (preferably home-made but other commercial brands too). Any advise would be really apprecaited? :(

Bec.

Hills, Eukanuba and Royal Canin all make a prescription renal diets.

A home made diet is possible, but I would recommend that she discusses it with her vet - they should be able to provide her with some appropriate recipes as a starting point.

It depends on the type of renal problem as to which commercial food is better. If your friend is looking for a natural diet, it has to be high in good protein and low in phosphorus, for example. Some people with wheatens requiring kidney diets go through Dr Remillard from Pet Diets who creates a natural diet based on the blood panel/urine screening (UPC) results. It costs a bit initially but well worth it according to various reports. Your friend should not create a diet without going through a vet who knows what they're doing in regards to kidney disease and food.

I rescued an old dog who turned out to have renal problems. She went on the Hills K/D diet but I also took her to the All Natural Vets at Russell Lea in Sydney (they will do phone consultations under certain circumstances, eg you fax through all the results of your dog's tests and they will talk to the treating vet as well).

They are vets who also prescribe CHinese herbs for certain conditions.

I had been warned my little girl would only live a few months but she went on the diet PLUS Chinese Herbs and lived in great health for 12 months. I would definitely go down this route in the future for this type of problem.

My last dog who had renal problems wouldn't touch the KD stuff. He stopped eating which is not what is wanted for a dog with kidney problems. In the end I tried everything. In the last two weeks of his life (he was pts three weeks after diagnosis), he ate half a smoked chicken breast, one sausage and half a Tic Toc biscuit.