Looking For My 1st Dslr

bustam

Can anyone recommend an entry level dslr, that doesn't take a genius, to take nice shots straight away, then progress to better photo's with time&practice etc

I'll mainly just be photographing my kids and dog (when he strikes a funny pose) and probably just around town/harbour shots.

I don't really want to spend more than $800, and from what I have investigated so far, the Pentax k2000d (i think thats the model) seems to fit all my criteria, so does anyone use one of these, or suggest something of better value in a similar price range?

Can anyone recommend an entry level dslr, that doesn't take a genius, to take nice shots straight away, then progress to better photo's with time&practice etc

I'll mainly just be photographing my kids and dog (when he strikes a funny pose) and probably just around town/harbour shots.

I don't really want to spend more than $800, and from what I have investigated so far, the Pentax k2000d (i think thats the model) seems to fit all my criteria, so does anyone use one of these, or suggest something of better value in a similar price range?

When you buy a digital SLR you buy into a system. Over the long term, it's the lenses that count, not the first body you buy.

While Pentax have some good lenses and there are decent 3rd party lenses for Pentax as well, my advice would be to stick to either Nikon or Canon.

I would suggest stretching your budget just a little and get one of the Canon 1000D kits.

ok, thanks for the feedback.

does anyone also know which would be the better choice for these two current deals...

1. canon eos 1000d with 18-55lens for $748 or

2. nikon d60 with 18-55 & 55-200lens for $799?

Edited by bustam

I bought a Nikon D60 twin lense but mine are VR ones last month. I am a total novice, have had a bit of a fiddle with the settings even though I dont know what i'm doing I mainly leave it on auto. It is easy to understand and work and I find it takes really clear pics and am really pleased with it. As to the difference between the 2 cameras I have no idea, someone with more know how may be able to help you.

ok, thanks for the feedback.

does anyone also know which would be the better choice for these two current deals...

1. canon eos 100d with 18-55lens for $748 or

2. nikon d60 with 18-55 & 55-200lens for $799?

Well you get two lenses with the second deal so that one literally, but it's still better go make your choice

between Nikon and Canon first, and then choose a body from one of them. They handle quite differently so go along to a shop, have a feel of both cameras and see what you prefer.

The entry level DSLR's from both Canon and Nikon are more than enough for any newbie.

Exactly what rugerfly said - go and see how they feel as Nikons earlier model were bigger than the Canon equivalent. Some people prefer one size over the other but only you will know when you go to the shopand pick up the actual camera yourself. The brands themselves are as good as each other