Dog Rocks And/or Acv?

What's the latest info on the best anti-burn treatment for grass?

I've been using Dog Rocks for 18 months now with mixed success. The other day I popped into Roselands Pet store to see if they had Dog Rocks only to be told "Dog Rocks are bad for dogs because chemicals can build up in their stomachs". The store had a bag of treats for sale they claimed cut out grass burning.

And then I read ACV stops grass burning.

What are people using these days?

I used og Rocks for a while with mixed success. Sometime they worked and sometimes they didn't.

I am now using ACV and it works a treat for us. Duke drinks the water without a problem and when we first got Lizzie she didn't like it but also drinks it fine now.

Up until last week we had beautiful green lawn but since filling the clam pools up for the dogs in the heat they tend to drink that as well as the water in their bowl. I have now started to get burn marks in the lawn.

The only alternative would be to add the ACV to their pool water - a bit costly though. So for now, their comfort in the heat is more important than our lush lawn. :hug:

So thumbs up for ACV!! :hug: from this household.

You should be able to get 5 liters of AVC at the produce stores for around $20. I stopped it for a while and noticed skin problems again, since starting adding it too their food and water they are improving..

:hug: here too. :hug:

There are no "chemicals" in Dog Rocks.

I analysed them at work and they are just" Rocks" - nothing significant about whats in them from memory. I did this a few years ago, just looked for the report but I cant find it, sorry :hug: .

The boss and I couldnt figure out how they worked, but they did for me when I was using them.

What is AVC??

Rat

There are no "chemicals" in Dog Rocks.

I analysed them at work and they are just" Rocks" - nothing significant about whats in them from memory. I did this a few years ago, just looked for the report but I cant find it, sorry :hug: .

The boss and I couldnt figure out how they worked, but they did for me when I was using them.

Rat

I don't know, but on the basis of what you tell us here (ie no chemicals) there would have to be mineral ..... and I'm presuming whatever mineral it is that is operative, it causes a change in the PH balance within the dog's system. Maybe this is a similar way in which ACV works ???? :hug:

What is AVC??

"ACV" Apple Cider Vinegar, or in Andisa's case (AVC) .... Apple Vinegar Cider :hug:.

Sorry Andisa .... just stirring

Edited by Erny

What is AVC??

"ACV" Apple Cider Vinegar, or in Andisa's case (AVC) .... Apple Vinegar Cider :hug:.

Sorry Andisa .... just stirring

Oh bugger Erny - no point going back to fix it up now. :hug:

It's good stuff - what ever you want to call it. :hug:

It's late. I should be in bed. :hug:

Thanks...............ACV - It seems so bloody obvious now!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Your right Erny, the rocks are made up of minerals (not exactly chemicals though), but there was nothing in any significant levels that, to us, would seem to have any effect on dogs urine. But there must be some chemical reaction within the dogs system that makes it work, because for our dogs it did. Work that is. :(

Whats the success rate with the ACV, and how much do you put in say 1 litre of water?

Rat

From the site:

IS IT THAT IT ATTRACTS THE NITRATES IN THE WATER AND NEUTRALIZES IT?

THIS IS IMPORTANT….NEUTRALIZES IS NOT A WORD WE LIKE TO ASSOCIATE WITH DOG ROCKS AS SOME PEOPLE CAN BE CONFUSED AND THINK IT NEUTRALIZES THE PH BALANCE. (RE THE TESTS..THIS IS NOT SO)

THE BASIC PRINCIPAL IS THE ROCK BEING PARAMAGNETIC CHANGES THE ION EXCHANGE IN THE WATER. THIS RESULTS IN THE NITRATE LEVEL IN THE WATER DROPPING AND NOT BEING INGESTED BY THE DOG. LOWER NITRATES WILL CAUSE THE URINE TO STOP BURNING THE GRASS.

IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE PH BALANCE

ETA: This means nothing to me, it's just what they say, perhaps someone can translate. :(

It also says they're unlikely to work for dogs being fed raw/high protein diets.

Edited by molasseslass

Thanks ML - now that does make sense to me!! I think!

I will try and translate with my laymans chemistry, but I cant promise anything!! And someone with more ejakashun will prob'ly beat me to it anyway :( :rolleyes:

"Paramagnetism - The property of substances,as liquid oxygen, which are magnetic like iron, but to a much lesser degree." from The Macquarie Dictionary.........So does the dogrock actually qualify as paramagnetic given its not liquid oxygen? I would think water, being Hydrogen and Oxygen would qualify though.

Anyway..............................

So basically they are saying, the Dog Rocks act like a magnet and draw Nitrates from the drinking water, leaving no nitrates for the dog to eliminate in their urine, thus the grass is not burnt.

I guess dogs on raw and high protein diets already have an elevated level of nitrates in their system so cant be removed. Anyone???

But from the above statement about dogrocks (in ML's post), there needs to be nitrates in the water to begin with. Wouldnt rainwater, being fairly unadulterated in a country rainfall area, be quite low in nitrates anyway? Our dogs drink rainwater 99% of the time, is why I query this.

Also I would think that the levels of nitrates in "town" water supplies would have to be of a quite low level for human consumption. So would the exchange happening on such a minute (as in Ions) scale have any effect of the burning-ness of urine.

Also in an ion exchange, something is exchanged for the nitrate ions?? What could that be??

Any boffins out there care to elaborate?

:rolleyes: :laugh: I dont even know if what Ive written is correct, so ML, it might be a good idea to wait for a "smart" person to confirm or kill my whole post... :):laugh: :D :)

Rat. :cry:

At the levels of nitrate found in most reticulated drinking water supplies in Australia, a person could be expected to drink up to 36 mg of nitrate each day.

The Australian guideline values are as follows:

* For bottle-fed infants under 3 months of age the level of nitrate in drinking water should not exceed 50 mg-NO /L (as nitrate) For adults and children over 3 months of age the level of nitrate in drinking water should not exceed 100 mg-NO /L (as nitrate)

* The level of nitrite in drinking water should not exceed 3 mg-NO /L (as nitrite).

Ah thanks ML. Hmmm, now I wonder what amounts of nitrates the dogrocks "suck out" of the water, and at what rate.

Any mention of that at the website? I suppose I might check it out myself right now.

Was my ramble any help? Not so much my own opinions :( , but the actual mechanics of how they work?

Rat

ML if you check out this website it will give you a better understanding of what the dogrocks do. Zeolite (which is what dogrocks are geologically) is used in all sorts of applications, from agriculture, mining and even in a liquid form for detoxing yourself!!

zeolite

I hope this helps just a little bit more. I certainly understand it heaps more now! Just dont get the measurements - even though I have google them. Ah science, what a wonderous thing it is :(

Rat

To complicate things, I've read that apple cider vinegar (even in water) shouldn't be consumed continually/repeatedly through the day esp. long term because it is acidic and will damage teeth. OK as a one off per day in water or food but it is the continual drinking of it that causes the damage. I put mine in the dogs' dinners.

Di

To complicate things, I've read that apple cider vinegar (even in water) shouldn't be consumed continually/repeatedly through the day esp. long term because it is acidic and will damage teeth. OK as a one off per day in water or food but it is the continual drinking of it that causes the damage. I put mine in the dogs' dinners.

Di

Di - I've always maintained putting in the dog's dinner (and not necessarily every time) is better. Not that I had any scientific data to suggest it was causing harm, but just that dogs MUST drink, so putting it in their water leaves them no choice, unless there is an extra bowl of fresh water available to them.

Di - I've always maintained putting in the dog's dinner (and not necessarily every time) is better. Not that I had any scientific data to suggest it was causing harm, but just that dogs MUST drink, so putting it in their water leaves them no choice, unless there is an extra bowl of fresh water available to them.

Erny - does this still have the same effect with the grass burning?

Hmmm...I have ACV 2 times per day myself. Maybe that's why I have a hole and need to visit the dentist!!!!

I have no idea, GSD Mum. I haven't used ACV with my young pup yet and if I do it will only be because I have determined with as much confidence as possible that it's because it's good for his health, not merely to save my grass.

I have no idea, GSD Mum. I haven't used ACV with my young pup yet and if I do it will only be because I have determined with as much confidence as possible that it's because it's good for his health, not merely to save my grass.

I also use apple cider vinegar for my guys for the health benefits rather the 'grass benefits' ... nearly all of our grass is dead from the heat any way ...

Di

I give ACV not just for my grass :thumbsup: There is lots of information that tells us it's good for soo many things - dogs and people alike. I was putting it in his water because on some days he has just dry in his bowl and I didn't think he would eat it with the vinegar just splashed on top :laugh: