Pancreatitis - Low Fat Cooking

My poor little Pommeranian has just made it out of the Vets after a bout of Pancreatitis...

the vet suggested i try a low fat food like hills/science diet but my lil pooch will not have a bar of it!

I have been giving him small bits of lean raw chicken meat but raw meat never seems to agree with his stomach (giving him loose stools)...

I was wondering if anyone had any receipes for low fat meals i could try cooking at home??

Help would be appreciated :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Your dogs spleen is not functioning properly causing the pancreas problem. No raw food, cold food, tin food, biscuits or dry food. Meat & veg cooked use iron rich meat, porridge is good, the food is to be warm & in this pre digested form to relieve stress on the spleen. Garry

Hi my little girl was diagnosed with pancreatitas after 3 flare ups. Most of last year she was sick on and off!

I finally seem to have her under control now.. (touchwood)

I give her two meals a day now. As smaller meals are more beneficial. I think they should be fed several small meals a day but because i work full time this is not possible.

Fore breaky i give her Royal Canin Low fat tin food. She is not fussed on it so i mix some low fat cottage cheese into it with digestive enzymes. The cottage cheese tempts her to eat it!

For dinner i cook vegies and blend them to liquid, cook brown rice and boil chicken. Mix it all together with enzymes! As a treat sometimes i give her some plain yoghurt in it or i cook Kangaroo steak once or twice a week for somthing different instead of chicken all the time! She gets given royal canins low fat dog kibble when i leave for work just a half handful and a few more when i get home from work.

She seems so much better in herself nowdays. She used to be in constant pain and sleep alot and used to be such a fussy eater. She now knows she gets fed what i make and doesn't eat our food anymore. It takes alot to get them intoa routine. She is now 2 and a half. The first year and a bit of her life she would eat whatever we eat and then when she got sick it took me months to get her onto her own diet!

I hope this is useful for you and i hope your pooch will be ok. It is a hard disease to handle that is for sure... and so cruel too.