Incontinent Dog Smell

AngelSoul

I have an ageing Siberian who has been incontinent for sometime now. Due to his age he is getting less and less agile, so when he lays on flat ground for a period of time, he tends to 'leak' on himself. His other bedding is raised and he has staydry matting, just when he sneaks off to lay on the concrete it gets worse.

I am hydrobathing him and (or) his soiled fur areas every few days, but I just can't find a product that is able to remove the smell from him. No amount of doggy cologne works either.

I am using white vinegar on his sleeping areas and that is working fine.

Just after anyone's ideas on a product I could use "on him" to help him stay smelling clean for a little longer.

Thanks for the tips. I enquired with the manufacturers of Urinefree and it is recommended NOT to be used directly on animals.

Haven't heard of the Nilodor either. I am guessing it is safe on animals when it is well diluted?

Might give that ago, if I can find some at the shops.

Thanks for the tips. I enquired with the manufacturers of Urinefree and it is recommended NOT to be used directly on animals.

Haven't heard of the Nilodor either. I am guessing it is safe on animals when it is well diluted?

Do yourself and your dog a favour and DON'T use Nilodor - it's the most godawful smell and hard to get rid of. Years of working in hospitals and that smell now just makes me want to vomit! :(

Seriously, I'd try the white vinegar, 50% strength. :confused:

[

Do yourself and your dog a favour and DON'T use Nilodor - it's the most godawful smell and hard to get rid of. Years of working in hospitals and that smell now just makes me want to vomit! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd try the white vinegar, 50% strength. :)

Different strokes for different folks!! :) I find it far more pleasant smelling than old urine!!

Why not try both?

[

Do yourself and your dog a favour and DON'T use Nilodor - it's the most godawful smell and hard to get rid of. Years of working in hospitals and that smell now just makes me want to vomit! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I'd try the white vinegar, 50% strength. :)

Different strokes for different folks!! :) I find it far more pleasant smelling than old urine!!

Why not try both?

I guess the other problem I have with Nilodor is that it doesn't remove the original smell, it just has it's own smell that is so overpowering, it simply overpowers the original smell.

At least the white vinegar neutralises the urine smell. :laugh:

If you add apple cider vinegar to his water or food, the urine will smell slightly better. Either wash, rinse or spray his urine-y bits with white vinegar or ACV to neutralise the odor.

NilOdor always makes me think of public toilets :p

what about bicarb soda? It can be added to water or brushed through dry. It's super safe on humans (including babies) and gets rid of just about any smell around (in washing, fridges etc) so it might work. It's also good for itchy skin. Maybe you could test patch a small area and if all is ok then just bathe the area with a wet cloth with some bicarb added to the water. I had a quick look on the net and most uses were for getting rid of urine smells on carpets but it could be worth a try.

ooh. thanks for letting me know