Staffy Puppy With Arthritis

LauraJane

They have diagnosed his wobble to be "carpal laxity" - but very mild.

Was just about to post that this is what I thought the 'wobble' sounded like too. My boy has had it and whilst it has remedied over time for the most part, I am still working on and mindful of suitable exercise for him. In my boy's case, he was quite severe compared to the OP's.

Glad it was a better outcome than what your original Vet had diagnosed.

Erny what excercises have you used?

The surgeon told me wading through chest high water or to find a Physio with a machine to work certain muscles. No physio's here... but i'm looking into getting a paddle pool for the wading. He tends to jump around at the beach... can't get him to wade.

Would love some more idea's though. :cheer:

My female staffy has arthritis in one of her elbows. She has had since she was a pup too. Have no idea when it started though.

She had a few signs which to the discovery. Soreness, shaking when sitting and pressure on the leg etc.

She is on Cartrofen injections (as she needs them) and I give her Gluosmaine in her food. Chiro every few months and massage.

She is 7 now and she is doing great!

Edited by Ci

Erny what excercises have you used?

Initially, focus was mainly on diet. Pup could exercise at will, but minimum to no forced exercise (and if we did any, it was done very carefully).

The surgeon told me wading through chest high water or to find a Physio with a machine to work certain muscles. No physio's here... but i'm looking into getting a paddle pool for the wading. He tends to jump around at the beach... can't get him to wade.

That's the exercise I'm doing now (chest height wading) although that's for his back legs. His front legs have straightened out (they were quite dramatic in their knucking over and bowing out) although the lower tendons need to become stronger and the wading in chest height water will help them too. They are improving over time though. I travel to the beach frequently for his exercise. Local hydro-pool is too expensive for regular and frequent visits.

I'm going to see Dr. Bruce Syme next week. Just as a back up opinion and advice regards diet (to ensure that I'm giving the most balanced that I can). I believe diet has much to do with the condition. But the right exercise is relevant as well. Avoid (big time) slippery floors. From day dot my polished floor boards were covered with rubber backed carpet pieces that I purchased from Clark Rubber; tiled areas covered with tile matting that I purchased through Bunnings and my decking is covered in rubber matting also purchased from Bunnings. Trying to walk on slippery surfaces is a BIG no no.

Edited by Erny

Yeah, we've never pushed Decky to exercise at all. He does his own thing. We take him to the park or beach, he runs around and sniffs etc. Then we do 10 mins on lead training etc. Has play date with a little mate every now and again.

I would be interested in the diet you feed your guy. Decky's been on Royal Canine Sensative and the vet said to leave him on that. He also gets raw at night, mince, veggie slops, occassional egg, Feramo supplement, fish oil, joint guard, celery seeds and rice.

If there is more i can do to help him, i will do it in a flash.

I wonder why my vet didn't tell me about the slippery surfaces thing? Good to know that!

I would be interested in the diet you feed your guy.

Until his legs straightened out, I kept him strictly on Eagle Pack Holistic select (giant & large breed puppies .... he's a RR). What I was feeding was endorsed by my Vet and also by some research that I did.

I've had a quick look for the link to one website, which I found very helpful. Can't find it in the few moments that I have at the moment but will return here to put it up when I can. Basically it referenced Carpal Laxity Syndrome and strongly recommended feeding Eagle Pack for those Countries that could source it, but also gave dietary info for those countries who could not.

My boy was underweight when I got him (3.5 kgs at 8 wo) and I had to be very careful about finding the balance of putting on weight but not too fast, even though it was needed. Bone growth was the primary concern along with him being healthy if still too thin. If I fed too much it would go to growth spurts, so I needed him to grow, but slowly.

Edited by Erny