Sentinel Or Advocate

Red Fox

Whats the best option for heart worm/intestinal worm prevention if you are trying to go the most 'natural way'

I am currently using Advocate plus a tapeworm tablet from the vet once per month. Haven't had any problems as such (cant stand the smell though :rofl: ) But after reading the long term effects that 'over-treating' can have it's got me a little worried...

We are not in an area that is prone to Ticks and have not had a problem with fleas in our neighbourhood (we haven't had to flea treat our cat in the last 5 years and he is checked regularly) However our dog regularly visits the river and attends obedience school so I'm thinking that he will need some flea protection :rofl: I am not sure of the risks of lice/mites etc. in our area.

I've also noticed that a lot of the sites that sell natural and organic dog products sell Sentinal but not Advocate :cry:

Would a change to Sentinel (with Frontline put aside for an emergency flea treatment if the need arises) be a better option??

Any advice appreciated, we have a month until Kei's next treatment is due

We tried Advocate as an all in one, once only. Our guy became unwell for a couple of days after we used it.

We now use Sentinal and Advantage. But we live in a different area to you and our dog has a flea allergy so we need to prevent fleas, which Sentinal doesn't do.

I have read that Frontline has Fipronil in it, which is being reviewed by APVMA because of possible harmful side effects.

Oh, and I agree. The Advocate stank :rofl:

What about using Interceptor, which does HW and worming, and then use something like Advantage for fleas? Advantage isn't absorbed and just stays on the skin, so it's one less thing going into his body.

Yes, I have been thinking about this... I also saw a natural flea repellent spray (I think it was Rufus & Coco) that I was thinking might be good to use before we go into areas where Kei could pick up fleas. It also repels flies and mozzies too. Just put on the last dose of Advocate tonight and it STINKS :thumbsup: Poor Kei, it's giving me a headache. We haven't had any problems with it, but I dont think I'll be buying it anymore.

What about using Interceptor, which does HW and worming, and then use something like Advantage for fleas? Advantage isn't absorbed and just stays on the skin, so it's one less thing going into his body.

We switched to this combination after the Sentinal was finished (couple of days ago) and so far no problems have emerged.

I've been using advocate as it treats so many things but now am wondering if I am harming my pets. Have x2 cats and x2 dogs. Live in the flea and tick capital of the world. So much so that the advocate is pretty useless with flea control anyway and I have to supplement with capstar and rinses. I'll have to look up the warning.

If I change to interceptor plus advantage, how does water affect performance of the treatment? My dogs swim just about every day.

Just to update, I bought some Sentinal this morning and will give that a go next month when Kei is due for worming again. It comes with a bonus pack of Capstar and I also got some Rufus & Coco 'Bug Off' spray to use before and after going into flea prone areas, it's a natural spray so no harm to the cat :cry:

Hopefully these should control any flea problems that may arise. If the Sentinel works we will stick with it because I like the extra flea contol aspect of it, however if it causes any problems or makes Kei sick we will then move to Interceptor instead.

I ended up getting the products from Naturalpetstore.com.au it was a bit pricier than some of the other sites (up to $12 more for the Sentinel!) but I figured that the free Capstar would make up for it, plus they were the only place I could find that stocked Rufus & Coco. Unfortunately I got sucked in with all he pretty stuff and ended up spending an extra $80 on grooming gear :thumbsup: so all the savings just went out the window :eek:

Just to update, I bought some Sentinal this morning and will give that a go next month when Kei is due for worming again. It comes with a bonus pack of Capstar and I also got some Rufus & Coco 'Bug Off' spray to use before and after going into flea prone areas, it's a natural spray so no harm to the cat :mad

Hopefully these should control any flea problems that may arise. If the Sentinel works we will stick with it because I like the extra flea contol aspect of it, however if it causes any problems or makes Kei sick we will then move to Interceptor instead.

I ended up getting the products from Naturalpetstore.com.au it was a bit pricier than some of the other sites (up to $12 more for the Sentinel!) but I figured that the free Capstar would make up for it, plus they were the only place I could find that stocked Rufus & Coco. Unfortunately I got sucked in with all he pretty stuff and ended up spending an extra $80 on grooming gear :p so all the savings just went out the window :p

Try this for an interesting read...I've now stopped all the 'multi use' products on the market and only treat my dogs now if they have a specific issue which they haven't in the last 12 months. Natural is best.

Try this for an interesting read...I've now stopped all the 'multi use' products on the market and only treat my dogs now if they have a specific issue which they haven't in the last 12 months. Natural is best.

This would always be my prefered option, however we live in a mosquito infested area so I feel that heartworm prevention is important for us. Intestinal worming is also a bit of an issue as although I'd like to only treat it if there is a problem we have a young son who could get very sick if he were to end up with roundworm or tapeworm so at this stage prevention is better. Fleas are not a big issue for us, fairly easy to treat and not many in our area. Ticks are a non issue so we will not be treating for them at all. However I do agree with you that natural is best if you can do it :p