Sun Burn Cream For Dogs

Had a lady on Saturday ask me to clip off her malt short, which I did with a Snap on #1 - not sure what the equivalent blade length is as I am at work and can't check length from here. Anyhooo it is the shortest I have gone and I could quite clearly see her lovely pink skin through what was left of the coat, I warned the owner to be very careful that she didn't get sunburn and to keep her out of the heat of the day etc... BUT she has asked me to get her some sunburn cream for the dog and I have no idea where to begin :rainbowbridge:

I have seen UV protector for coats but does this just protect the fur from tinging or will it actually create a barrier for her skin. Is there any human product eg. babies zinc cream that is safe or anyone can recommend?

As I say any help greatly appreciated before this dog gets sunburnt?

Snap 1 turns out shorter looking that a 7 IMO. Technically they should be the same (3mm) but the snaps tend to cut a little closer I have found.

I'd just tell her to keep the dog out of the sun for two weeks and try to keep snap 2 as your shortest. Snap 2 is most of my dogs peak summer with snap 3 legs blended then scissored.

Re the UV protector for coats, one would think that if it is stopping the sun from affecting the coat then it should definitely stop the sun burning the skin.

I use Filta Bac sunscreen on Pele's nose. It's an animal sunscreen, but don't know how it would go on the rest of the body. It would leave a mess inside as it's zinc cream.

What about a small T-shirt or light cotton coat on the dog until the hair grows a bit :rainbowbridge:

Thanks for the input guys. I usually do the Snap #2 Clyde and as a short summer length I'm getting quite use to it, although I would never do it to mine :laugh:, but the client came in asking specificly for as close a shave as I could do, like a men's No 1 she said. Deciphering this I assumed she didn't want a #40 :rofl: so did the Snap #1 and it was all over, ears, face and tail. It was one of those clips you hope she never tells anyone where she got it done but she was happy when she got the dog back!

I can't see her using a rash suit, but the doggy ones look great AnimalMad. If she puts the Filta Bac all over the dog and takes her to the beach she'll just end up with sand stuck to her fur :rofl: Think I will get in some of the coat protection and if she decides not to take it I'll keep it for my poo :D

:D :laugh:

So I ordered some "Sunshade" from Plush Puppy for her and will recommend she puts a light kids summer T shirt on her for the beach if they're going to be out in the sun all day. Thanks again for your help everyone.

Edited by Blue Fox 001