Eating Bark Chips

Red Fox

Ever since we brought our puppy home at 9 weeks he has been intent on chewing up the bark-chips in the garden. He would take a mouthful, chew tham into bits and spit them out. This behaviour came to a halt at about 12-16 weeks but over the last two weeks (he is now 20 weeks old) he has started again and now he is actually eating them!

He will go directly to the garden and seek out the biggest bark chip he can find and chew it up. If I ask him to "give" he will swallow most of it first :laugh:

This has co-incided with him cutting his larger molars so I am wondering if this is a teething issue or if he is eating them for other reasons :(

We have plenty of chew toys and Kongs and give RMB's daily, I have even tried trading him his bark chip for a pig ear but the bark was just more interesting!

Could it be a diet issue?

(Bark-chips are not treated so no risk of poisoning)

We got softfall (a smaller pine mulch) spread over our backyard, I too was worried so when up at the vet asked if it was an issue. He said that obstruction was a problem with bark etc but he had only experienced it with the smaller breeds. You are doing all you can, it does pass through and for a period there my threes poos were more softfall than anything else. It is rare now to see any in their poo but perhaps that might increase with the pups teething. I will keep an eye out.

Diet related, absolutely no idea, sorry. Hopefully it is just a stage...