How Do I Stop Them Chewing Coats Off In Cold Weather?

Alyosha

Has anyone got any experience in keeping dogs from chewing coats (man-made) off each other when it's cold?

We normally have long coated dogs that don't often feel the cold so haven't experienced it before. But the two Salukis we have at the moment are feeling the cold and my Borzoi bitch will not leave any coat on them for more than 30 seconds!

Has anyone found anything bad-tasting or similar that can be put on the outside of coats to discourage this a little?

They are happy inside in the warm but I like them to go out for play and they are just getting too cold all naked... :laugh:

Edited by Nattylou

Methinks the Borzoi bitch needs some training! :wave:

I'd do some very supervised play with the Salukis in their coats and as soon as the Borzoi starts trying to go for the coats, give her a good strong "no" and perhaps remove her from play "timeout" LOL until she gets the idea that it's just not acceptable. :thumbsup:

Worth a try! :)

Thanks t-time. Worth a try. She really won't grab them much if I'm about - only if I turn my back or go inside! She is very naughty, but only young so I'll keep at her and maybe one day she'll grow out of it... - wishful thinking perhaps??

I have to keep her shut in to even use the washing line (have tried hanging water bomb balloons in the hems of sheets containing water & lemon juice to no avail, just makes it more fun...).

Lucky I love her so much!!

I've always been wary about using commercial anti-chew sprays on the dogs and dogs' clothing because the smell is usually quite strong and aversive, and the poor Salukis aren't the ones being naughty. Is there some way to separate your Borzoi from them when you're not there to supervise?

You might also try some pajamas rather than ordinary coats. Kickatinalong.com.au do jarmies that are inexpensive, nice and warm, washable and very hard for houdini hounds to wriggle out of. Our Salukis live in theirs outside during winter - we might occasionally find they had extricated a back foot when we got home, but they never got out of them the way they used to get out of standard coats.

Thanks Anita. I love the kickatinalong pyjamas - but so do borzoi... she eats them. Or she swings the salukis around by them until they give up and rip. Keeps my sewing machine busy. The salukis think it's a great game though!

I'll have to keep her separated when it's cold and they're out. It's a shame as she's their favourite playmate - they like to play at being the prey and she's the huntress.

They're not too worried while they're on the couch anyway! :thumbsup: