Crying At Obedience Classes

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this problem...

We have two cavaliers, Izzy is 15 months, Ollie is 7 1/2 months.

We take them both to obedience classes.

Izzy is great, no problems there.

Ollie has "issues" :laugh: He cries.

He starts at home, crying when we get his car harness ready. He cries in the car on the way. He quietens down but then does a very soft whimper. He cries once the handbrake goes on. Then he's quiet as we walk over to where we wait.

If Izzy walks away from him, he cries. THEN...when it's time to start class, I take Izzy over to her class and he goes right off his head. :wave:

My partner gets quite embarrassed about it. Ollie is so loud, I can hear him from the other end of the oval.

My partner has tried everything to distract him but he doesn't even want a treat. He's almost hysterical.

My partner is at the stage now that he doesn't even want to take him if he's going to carry on like that because in class, he will do what is required but in between "exercises" will cry.

The instructor told him that he should have gone up a class (for next week) except his crying has held him back. It's not like he can't do things, he's already in Class 5 and he does everything perfectly - sit, drop, stand, stay...

It's just the crying.

So...if anybody can offer some suggestions - please do.

Thank you.

Oh and by the way, he's been going to obedience since November but this crying has only just started in the last two weeks. Before that, he would cry at home to get his harness on and in the car but once he was there, he was ok.

He is a big sook. Even when we get home, he cries :laugh:

Izzy has never cried, so this is all new to us :laugh:

Having been in a somewhat similar situation myself, I would like to read what the experts have to write about this. In our case, it was so stressful that we stopped going to classes.

Dusty used to do the same thing. She cries all the way there, but it's because she's so excited she can barely contain herself. She used to do it in class too, and being a herding breed....she ain't quiet! My daughter takes her to class, and Dusty would spend the whole class trying to get across the ground to Benson and me.

Eventually she just grew out of it. Now she's very good in class, very focussed on my daughter and has lots of fun. But she still cries all the way there.

Oh, we never gave into her either. She was told firmly to shut up, turned away from where she wanted to go and my daughter just kept working with her, despite the pitiful squealing.

Is this the only time the two dogs are separated? My guess is that your younger boy has formed a very strong bond with your older boy.

Yes, pretty much. He adores her. He does whatever she does.

We have thought about taking him out separately or her out separately to give them time apart.

Is this the only time the two dogs are separated? My guess is that your younger boy has formed a very strong bond with your older boy.

Yes, pretty much. He adores her. He does whatever she does.

We have thought about taking him out separately or her out separately to give them time apart.

Take them both out.... separately.

I'd say he's "overbonded" to the older dog. He needs to be conditioned to spend time apart from her. I'd be inclined to have one of you with him if she goes out and he stays at home but you may find it easier to take him out on his own for a walk initally.