Managing An Excitable Dog

Greetings. Having just discovered this website, I am new to these forums, so please bear with me if I make a mistake.

I have a one year old Labrador (male, desexed) who is a beautiful dog and the joy of my life. We go to obedience school each week, and he is doing very well. He is (usually) well behaved around other dogs and their owners in that environment, including on-street work.

He seems to love all other dogs and people, and is very good natured. My difficulties arise when we are walking in the street or near the local dog park. He becomes extremely excited the moment he notices another dog, particularly if it is a one on one situation, and the other dog is off-lead. As he is a big strong boy, he can become very difficult to control and does not easily respond to the normal commands (like sit, etc.). I tend not to let him run free in the local dog park as I feel his behaviour is a bit "over the top" and may annoy others. He shows absolutely no aggression, but rather a desire for vigorous play. I have never heard him growl.

The same can be true at home if unexpected callers come to the front door. We are a one dog, single person houshold. Visitors are rare and such incidents are therefore infrequent. Otherwise he is extremely well behaved and co-operative. I keep him well exercised: walk him twice a day and have regular training and game sessions in the back yard. I feel that his excitement stems from his sheer joy in encountering a person and/or dog other than myself.

I would be most grateful to receive any suggestions via this forum.

Hi Blackdog

I'm not sure where you are located but have you considered having a session or two with a qualified trainer, to help you do some focus work with you dog?

ETA: When it comes to visitors I taught the dogs to sit before they get a pat, and everyone is told to ignore them and withhold any attention whatsoever until their butts are sitting calmly on the ground!

Edited by huski

Hi Black Dog,

Welcome to the forum! I find visitors to my household of 3 labradors and one person is best managed with the command of "bed". The girls dart to the bed and wait, visitors are asked to take a treat from the cookie jar near the front door and give them to the girls whose little bottoms wiggle madly on the bed waiting for the treat. it's just another training game but works very well.

Other ideas, some off lead runs with other friendly dogs would be helpful and reduce some of the extreme excitement but he also needs to be trained near distractions to get him to be able to continue to respond when really excited. The way to do this is train at an area within site of another dog but not close enough that he goes silly.

Where are you based? Perhaps you could try your state labrador club and see if there are any other members living nerby that might like to meet up for a play date?

Enjoy him whilst the youthful energy is about! Soon he will discover the couch and then he quiet times start!

Regards

Alanglen

I agree with huski, some focus work will help :cry: If you can get your dog's attention on you when walking it will help the exciteability around other dogs and people.

Have you done any focus work in your obedience classes?

Hi Black Dog2 welcome

You have just described Edward exactly when I first got him at 12 months old. It got to the stage where I was so anxious when walking him, constantly on the lookout for other dogs so we could run the other way that I stopped walking. Which of course made me a big part of the problem :) Edward is also good natured and perfectly behaved at the off leash park with great recall. Anyway we worked with a behavourist/trainer and it took a while but he is lovely to take out now. Our trainer was fabulous. Ask people near you to recommend a good trainer - you need to comfortable with them.

Good luck. I'm sure you and your lab will be fine.