Help Please - Walking A Labrador

Hi, we have adopted a three year old female Lab and find that we are having some difficulty walking her. Being a Lab she is, obviously, very strong and when she gets excited she pulls dreadfully on the lead. Its can get very difficult to hold on! At the moment we are using one of those padded checking chain type collars, but just wonder if there is something better?? Someone suggested a halti, but upon Googling I see there are a few different types and and I wouldn't even begin to know which one might be best!

Its apparent that our girl's previous owner didn't have her on the lead much (if at all, they were on property), so obviously we are trying to work on some basic training. That said once we have walked for a while she usually does settle down quite a bit, (unless she sees people or other dogs), but initially she is is just so excited all she wants to do is drag us along!

I would really appreciate some suggestions please!

Edited by bonniedog

Bonniedog .... it is so easy for people to give you names and different varieties of tools that you might be able to use, but regardless of which one you chose, it really is about the technique you use with it. And technique is something you learn. Tools mis-used can prove to not only achieve nothing, but potentially can cause damage either to the dog physically speaking, or to your training efforts, or both.

I would highly recommend a private training lesson or two (having the time dedicated to just you and your dog has the advantage of you learning much during the lesson time) or you joining a dog obedience school (from which you will still learn, but not as quickly nor perhaps as easily, due to class numbers and high distraction for your dog) so this can be shown to you.

Not sure what locality you live in but if you let us know some recommendations to a trainer and/or obedience school in your area can be made.

ETA: :cry: for giving a dog a good home :laugh:.

Edited by Erny

From personal experience I love the halti type, with padded nosebands for my labradors and those that I have fostered in rescue. I find it makes things much easier for general lead walking down the street. We work with different collars for different types of training but just for general leadwalking the halti's work sensationally. I have always found larbadors to be way to good at ignoring collars to use a check chain or any of the more forceful collars!

And yes training will definately help but you will find life a lot easier with some miles under her belt and I find halti's are a great angle/shape for their noses! Size 3 for most labradors from memory!

Photo please!!?? It's so nice to have an issue with happiness and excitement in a new dog! Congrat's for giving her a new chance, I'm sure you will have lots of fun!

Did I mention time for a photo!! ha ha

I agree with Erny. Was in the middle of writing a response and my baby wiped it and Erny responded first :cry:

Regardless of the tool you decide to use, it will be much more effective if you get some training on how to use it properly, so that she learns that walking nicely is beneficial for her as well as you :laugh:

Haltis are not an instant fix, I have walked a Lab that learned to pull through it, was a serious puller and very strong!

Edit for grammar

Edited by Kavik

Bonniedog we have been having the exact same type issues with our Labrador pup, he is now 9 months old and was physically becoming too strong for me to confidently walk. We've been attending Obedience school since Nov with him and they have been great with loads of advice and trying different techniques with us. We had limited success with the check chain after a few weeks so last week we bought a Halti and had a one on one lesson with the Head Instructor at our club and the difference I have seen this week has been fantastic for us. I was able to walk Sam up to school with my twin 5 year olds in tow and feel perfectly in control of both dog and kids the whole way there and back instead of feeling like a frazzled mess. Walking has become so much easier and enjoyable this week and hopefully that will continue. Sam's focus on me has improved as well so right now I am a total fan of the Halti and can only advise you to give it a try and see how it goes.

Also come join us in the Lab thread as they are a wealth of information and very helpful, I would not have made it this far with Sam if not for their guidance.

Goodluck.

I agree with Erny. Was in the middle of writing a response and my baby wiped it and Erny responded first :cry:

Regardless of the tool you decide to use, it will be much more effective if you get some training on how to use it properly, so that she learns that walking nicely is beneficial for her as well as you :laugh:

Haltis are not an instant fix, I have walked a Lab that learned to pull through it, was a serious puller and very strong!

Edit for grammar

I agree with Erny and Kavik!

The haltis are just a tool like any other, they will not teach your dog to walk on a loose leash. I am not a fan of the halti for a variety of reasons, and like many tools if you are determined to use one you should have a qualified trainer or someone with experience show you how to use it properly.

In most cases haltis are a bandaid and once you take them off the dog reverts back to pulling - it hasn't actually learnt anything.

Hi Bonniedog.

Your query seems along similar lines to mine, but you have got replies (I will try and provide more specific wording in my queries in future). I was recommended a Head Collar by my training school. I am not sure if that is different from a Halti or just a different brand. It has been reasonably successful, but my dog hates it. I find 95 per cent of the time he walks excellently without the need for any special device, but meeting other dogs creates problems. I will keep monitoring your topic. Good luck. Labradors are beautiful dogs and they do mature all too soon.

BD2 .... Each head collar brand does fit differently. Sometimes in quite noticeable ways, sometimes (to the untrained eye) in less obvious ways. Much depends on the shape and size of the dog's head, length of nose etc. etc. Head collars should be 'introduced' to the dog in a way that will desensitise him/her to having it on and that will build a positive association with it. Even so, this doesn't always work and some dogs will persist in their efforts to remove it.

I agree with Erny et al about technique before tools. If you go to the discussion forum at justlabradors.com you'll find a mob of people who prefer prong collars. I just use martindales and flat collars on my Labs and they're all good on the lead. Lots of things work . . . and few tools work if they aren't used correctly.

Btw. the problem is walking a dog, not walking a Labrador. You are likely to get this problem on any two year old dog who hasn't previously had good leash training.

I agree with Erny et al about technique before tools. If you go to the discussion forum at justlabradors.com you'll find a mob of people who prefer prong collars. I just use martindales and flat collars on my Labs and they're all good on the lead. Lots of things work . . . and few tools work if they aren't used correctly.

Sandgrubber is right - many different tools. As to which one depends on what suits the dog, the owner and the circumstances.

Couldnt agree more - it also depends on the individual dog and who is handling them.

We ahve a big strong yellow boy (Lab) who I started obedience training with when he was 9 months. He was capable of pulling me off my feet and so instructors almost insisted on halti collar, which he hated but he did learn not to pull and worked beautifully. Eventually I was able to move to a martingale collar because the club we attended wouldnt allow check chains on the grounds.

We have moved towns and now attend a totally different club, the boy hasnt been to training for about 2 years and would be very excited if we took him. What I did when we returned him to training recently was arrived at teh ground with the halti on, and a check chain also. His lead was attached to halti and he started working on that, when he had settled and was working well, I switched to the check chain. Now he works on a flat collar.

Our girls have all started on check chains at obedience and are also shown on check chains, but they are now working off lead at training. When walking with OH at night he uses martingale collars.

Again different handlers, I use check chains because a strong dog is stronger than me, but OH uses softer martingale collars.

That's as clear as mud I'm sure.