Constipation

Ivan's diet hasn't changed in any way, but he seems to be struggling to pooh quite often. He recently turned 10. Is it just part of getting older? He's been getting some psyllium husk in his food to help, is there anything else we should give him?

Lack of muscle tone in older dogs also seems to affect the bowel but lower levels of activity by the oldies certainly don't stimulate it as much. You need to have movement to get bowel movement it seems. :rolleyes:

I find my older boy needs a daily walk to avoid getting constipated if he has chicken wings. If I know he's going to miss out on that walk (eg. a long car trip or being mostly crated all day at a trial) I'll feed a softer meal.

I think it is the case, as my Rex is often consitpated these days.

Nothing changed, diet the same, I guess less excercise as he doesnt run as much, but still does.

I add more veg and fibre to his diet and it seems to work

Except for that time he did the lovely big one I stepped in! :rolleyes:

Perhaps adding a little olive oil or extra sardines to his daily intake might assist in it coming out more readily.

He gets fish oil on all his meals and sardines/tuna/mackerel four or five times a week!

Pumpkin is full of fibre and certainly helps. You can feed it baked, mashed or pulped and most dogs like it. :laugh:

Thanks, I'll try that :D

Except for that time he did the lovely big one I stepped in! :rolleyes:

Perhaps adding a little olive oil or extra sardines to his daily intake might assist in it coming out more readily.

He gets fish oil on all his meals and sardines/tuna/mackerel four or five times a week!

Pumpkin is full of fibre and certainly helps. You can feed it baked, mashed or pulped and most dogs like it. :laugh:

Thanks, I'll try that :D

My Staffy had terrible constipation a while back and required being put under at Vets to clean out her bowel.

It was caused by a bone.

Now I add a couple of teaspoons of bran to her tea, and have not had a problem since.

Lack of muscle tone in older dogs also seems to affect the bowel but lower levels of activity by the oldies certainly don't stimulate it as much. You need to have movement to get bowel movement it seems. :laugh:

I find my older boy needs a daily walk to avoid getting constipated if he has chicken wings. If I know he's going to miss out on that walk (eg. a long car trip or being mostly crated all day at a trial) I'll feed a softer meal.

same as humans . what joy we have to look forward to :laugh:

maybe you need a vet visit to rule out a problem with bowel etc. I am assuminghe is desexed.. if not it could be a prostate problem.

maybe add oat bran to his meals and maybe a few short walks rather than just one. and make sure he is drinking plenty of fluids.. often older dogs 9 and people) just cant be bothered to drink esp if movement is a bit difficult.. and once they get a bit dehydrated they really dont feel as thirsty.

H