Should Tug Of War Be Avoided?

jacqui835

My puppy still has another week and a bit before he gets his 3rd vaccination so we have to tire him out inside the house. One of the games we've been playing is tug of war, always started by us and ended by us. Throughout the game I will stop pulling and start just telling him to drop, and rewarding him when he does. Then I tell him to sit (which he's pretty good at) and then as a reward we play a bit more. I am always the one who picks up the toy, calls him over and so starts the game and we always finish with a drop and sit, but then I let him keep his toy. Is this ok or am I creating potential dominance issues?

My puppy still has another week and a bit before he gets his 3rd vaccination so we have to tire him out inside the house. One of the games we've been playing is tug of war, always started by us and ended by us. Throughout the game I will stop pulling and start just telling him to drop, and rewarding him when he does. Then I tell him to sit (which he's pretty good at) and then as a reward we play a bit more. I am always the one who picks up the toy, calls him over and so starts the game and we always finish with a drop and sit, but then I let him keep his toy. Is this ok or am I creating potential dominance issues?

Hi Jacqui

There was a thread on this subject a couple of days in the General forum that you might like to read:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=162343

I love tug of war and often play it with my dogs, just on my terms :rofl:

I don't let them keep the tug toy, but that is because I want to increase their drive for it - I always put it away and only take it out when I want to initiate a tug game.

Hi Jacqui

There was a thread on this subject a couple of days in the General forum that you might like to read:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=162343

I love tug of war and often play it with my dogs, just on my terms :champagne:

I don't let them keep the tug toy, but that is because I want to increase their drive for it - I always put it away and only take it out when I want to initiate a tug game.

Oh thanks :birthday: Reading it now...

I play a controlled tug game with my lad too - he knows "tug" and "give" and is very responsive.

However, he was an EXTREMELY exuberant young pup/adolescent so I did back off the tug games for a while until he learned some self-control. Lots of calm, quiet time put him in a better frame of mind to learn than being over excited. Now, as a 2 year old, he's wonderful - switch on, switch off!

i wouldnet play tug whilst there teething, as its easy to rip their teeth out,

as for vacs i woudlent worry to much, only expose to vaced dogs but the yard ect is fine. you dont need to confine your dog to your house.

i wouldnet play tug whilst there teething, as its easy to rip their teeth out,

as for vacs i woudlent worry to much, only expose to vaced dogs but the yard ect is fine. you dont need to confine your dog to your house.

Oh we do play out in the backyard as well, but I just meant since we can't go for walks. And it's a pretty gentle form of tug of war, none of his feet ever leave the ground, no fast movements or shaking or anything. Basically we move his toy around and eventually let him catch it, and then play a bit of tug because he seems to love it. It's been good though, we've been able to teach him the command 'drop it' because of this game.