What's This Behaviour?

The little tag line for this forum says behaviour discussions go here, so here I am!

Well just then, I turned and looked into the hallway. Sarge was laying down and Daina moved to stand right in front of him so his nose was between her legs. She then let Sarge have a good sniff and then when he was done she turned around and tried to make him play. He noticed me watching though and just stared at me :thumbsup:

Why did she do this? Was Daina being dominant? She is a bossy boots and does dominate Sarge (ie; is always standing on his back during play).

I don't see why a dog in a pack would "force" another pack member to sniff her though? Surely they already know her scent.

These are desexed dogs.

IMO by the description you've given, it was all just a part of play invitation. There was no "force" to sniff. And the action may not have been intended for "sniffing" purposes. Possibly just to gain the attention/interaction Daina wanted so that play would commence. Or Daina may have introduced the "play" posturing as a signal that her "front on" position was not intended to be confrontational. Your presence probably served to merely interrupt the potential for "play" at that moment.

:thumbsup: Hard to tell properly on someone's written description as so much posturing information is omitted.

Edited by Erny