Border Collie Hip Dysplasia

Max is doing really well! He obviously isn't putting much weight on that leg but he's walking and even tries to run around everywhere!

We are trying to keep him calm and comfortable so he's got heaps of toys to chew on and he goes to his beds when he wants to sleep. He did have an accident last night but I was expecting that anyway. Its still early days, he gets his stitches out in a week or so, then we can give him a bath and take him to dogs in motion. For now its just small walks inside the house, which he has no issues with, he does use that leg but very lightly, which is good i suppose. Maybe in a day or two I'll take him out for a walk just till the end of the street and back. He's on anti biotics and anti inflamms which are really helping him through the pain. He is pretty much what I expected him to be like, sometimes sooky, sometimes bored, sudden bursts of energy but all in all I'm happy so far, the rest time will tell :)

I'll post some pictures later.....he's not liking the huge bald patch haha

He's quite good actually, he doesn't seem to be in much pain but he's not using that leg! It's just easier & quicker for him to carry it instead. The only time he uses it is when he's walking slowly but because he's so hyper he's always running around everywhere. I can't wait to take him swimming, just have to wait till the stitches are off now :thumbsup:

He's quite good actually, he doesn't seem to be in much pain but he's not using that leg! It's just easier & quicker for him to carry it instead. The only time he uses it is when he's walking slowly but because he's so hyper he's always running around everywhere.

Um is he actually allowed to run around so crazily so shorty after the operation?

This is the only surgery where they encourage the animal to use the joint as soon as possible. When I picked him up last week, the vet told me if Max doesn't use his leg much by the next consultation (tomorrow) he'll be quite disappointed in his recovery process. Took him for another slow walk today, with a longer lead, so I could actually watch his leg from behind, and he's using it much more than I thought. Lets see wht the doc says tomorrow....

No bcgsd he isn't from a registered breeder.

Puggy I don't let him run around like crazy, but he just does so randomly if the he hears one of the cats playing or when someone visits etc. He's such an active dog, so he's just struggling with having minimum exercise. I will look in to getting the other side done but only after he has completely recovered from this one first.

We went to the pool today and I think he liked it, took him a little while to get used to it but then he was ok. Thankfully it's tired him out enough for the rest of the day! Next time I might see the physio as well, that way I can get a few exercises he can do at home. So far he's doing better that I had expected :rofl:

Edited by crazy_puppy