Vaccinations And Reactions

What about for a normally bouncy dog being quiet and uninterested in anything, and not really wanting its dinner, for about 24 hours?

I wouldn't be to worried. From my experience they usually are a little lethargic and sooky after vaccinations.

Antihistamines are given prior to vaccination in dogs that have previously had a reaction involving facial swelling or urticaria etc.

For post-vaccination reactions, an antihistamine injection may be given for an allergic-type reaction but sometimes we see dogs (and cats) that are generally painful or have a fever and these dogs might be given an anti-inflammatory injection instead.

It is not uncommon for pets to be lethargic for 24 hours or so, or to be tender around the injection sites - these effects are not uncommon in people either.

Thanks puggy puggy. What about for a normally bouncy dog being quiet and uninterested in anything, and not really wanting its dinner, for about 24 hours?

Remember that when we vaccinate our dogs, we are giving them a controlled dose of the diseases we are vaccinating for and is something which the dog's immune system has to fight and conker. Once the dog's immune system has conkered those diseases from the vaccine, their bodies develop a memory of them and store in their system the knowledge of how to conker them again if/when they come into contact with them. This latter 'knowledge' is what is referred to as 'anti-bodies'. And the dog's system's ability to ward off the affects of those diseases as a result of those 'anti-bodies' is what we refer to as 'having immunity'. Apologies for my very basic way of explanation.

The essence of my point here is that you could well expect your dog to be quiet and/or lethargic following the administration of a vaccine as not only is it moderately affected by the vaccine itself, its body is busy dealing with the diseases from the vaccine and much of its energy is being prioritised to getting over them.

Following the 2nd (and last) of my boy's puppy vaccinations, I dosed him with some Active Manuka Honey merely to offer some additional support to his immune system which I knew would be under a certain amount of additional stress at the time.

Edited by Erny

I'm probably not the best one to answer that, Baby Dragon as I don't follow the vaccination protocol that until more recent times has been the 'norm' for decades. But perhaps I'd ask :

• How old is your dog?
  • Is this a booster vaccine or one of the puppy vaccination series?
  • Has your dog always had a reaction or is this a more recent event?

The vet said something about giving him something before the vacc to counter the side effects/reaction (after I mentioned he had a reaction last time and explained what it was), but didn't tell me what they give to counter it, so that's why I was wondering if anyone knew.

He is 3, this is an annual vacc and I've only had him long enough to have this be the second vacc I've had him for.

I looked into titre testing instead and had decided to go that way if I could find a vet who would agree to do it, but finding a vet to agree to it has been almost impossible, and when discussing it with the program he's from they would prefer he was vaccinated due to the nature of his work (unless the vet advises against it, which they haven't.)

Edited by Baby Dragon

The vet said something about giving him something before the vacc to counter the side effects/reaction (after I mentioned he had a reaction last time), but didn't tell me what they give to counter it, so that's why I was wondering if anyone knew.

What were the symptoms of the reaction he had last time?

My golden retriever, KayCee had no problems with her puppy shots. She had no problems with her first set of annual vax. Hwever, the next year, with her 2ed set of annual vax that was a different story. We were the last ones in that Good Friday. Not been home long and she started acting strange--running around with tail between legs sitting for a few mintes, runnig again.

Well, it turns out her tummy was one huge fire engine red hive, she hives all over over body, she looked like she pencils erasers under the skin on her nose. Her ears were just one large hive, all red on inside. Her eyes were swollen almost shut. And she had a temp of 106.9, which is very, very dangerous. I called my vets answring service and why they paged him, i gave her benadryl capsuls, wrapped her in wet towel and we poured cool (not col) water over the towel.

My vet's wife called and said he was on the way to hospital, just mile from us, and get KayCee there fast. When we got there he alread had injetions reacdy. We stayed til her temp dropped. On her file cover he wrote in huge leters RABIES ONLY and said that was the only vax she was to get frm then on, tho he was pretty sure it was the lepto she had reacted to. Ever after I gae her benadryl before taking her in for her rabies vax. We did have an outbreak of distemper 3 years after her reaction and I opted to get her a booster. Gave her benadryl, took her in early in the morning, she got her vax and they put her in IC to keep an eye on her for several hours.

And that is my experince with reaction to regular vax. Of couse this doesn't not include my losing my one golden to reation to ProHeart6 injection, which is not a vaccine.

My old vet of many years always used to use homeopathic Thuja for vaccine reactions. I can't remember which strength it was, probably best to ask a homeopath to provide the right one if you can't find a vet that uses it.

He's a normally bouncy dog and was quiet and uninterested in anything, and not really wanting his dinner, for about 24 hours.

Is this what you are meaning by "normal reaction"? I thought you might have meant something like a lump at the vaccination site, or inflamed/red itchy skin or some such.

There were lumps or anything, just that he was really quiet, uninterested, not himself and didn't want dinner etc. I told the vet nurse about it, they said it sounds unusual and they said they will give him something before the next vacc so that it doesn't happen this time around.

Edited by Baby Dragon