Broken Back Top Molars

So I was just having a cuddle with Asher and saw that both of his back top molars have lost the bottom pointy bit (the ones that are in the spot you need to pull a bit of mouth back to see....... don't think this makes it more definitive!!).

It must have only just recently happened as I only noticed it today and we have only been feeding Raw Meaty Bones for the past month or so.

He's not in any pain that we know of based on the meaty bones he ate for dinner tonight.

So does it need to be removed, capped or ???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :mad

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good diagram:-) What kind of bones has he been having?

Whether anything needs doing depends how much has come off. Dogs teeth have a thicker enamel than humans so if it's just the tip you may be okay. However if you can see it is into the dentine then over time the tooth will be open to bacteria and decay:-(

Edited by Chocolate

Leave them alone if they are not worrying the dog but if they become sensitive they will need to be removed. I have a dog with the same problem but so far she has been OK. I did investigate capping, etc but found while it can be done at great expense it usually doesn't work long term because they have not come up with anything as hard as a dogs tooth to do it with. My vet has told me that the dogs almost always break any form of cap or filling that is attempted.

Stick to raw lamb, chicken or turkey bones and avoid beef bones except for brisket bones as dogs can break teeth on the harder beef bones.

Unless he is in any pain I would leave. If it is causing him problems you will probably be able to tell that he is favouring it in a few months time if tartar starts to build up on it. If it does cause problems then I would just take it out.

What bones do you feed? They could be to hard.

Stick to non weight bearing bones. As 'dancinbcs' suggested soft bones such as lamb, chicken & turkey are the best.

Thanks for all your responses everyone!!!

You have all been a huge help :(

Just had another good look in Asher's mouth and it seems one tooth isn't too bad, but the other looks a little bit odd. WHere the bottom of the tooth has broken off, I can see discolouration.

Its not like tartar or bacteria as his teeth were quite clean and there was no sign of that colour before he broke it.

I've decided im gonna take him into the vet just to get it checked anyway, only because of the discolouration. He needs to go back for a check up on his legs anyway.

We mainly feed Lamb shanks and chicken/turkey necks. Beef bones are few and far between. Did feed some "Meat Bones" last night.... I think it was beef cant be sure.

Again thanks for all the replies guys. Puts a worrysome Furmum at ease :rofl:

Just to add, fed them furries some chicken necks for dinner and although he ate mainly from one side, there was some chewing on the other and no uncomfortable moments so at least I know he's ok to eat :(

Does sound like he is favouring that side though and you did say that there is some discolouration now to the teeth on that side.

My boy broke his molar and exposed the nerve. It was only a pinpoint of red but that is enough to require attention. It is a spot for bacteria to enter the coronal tooth pulp and you will get a dead nerve and infection down the track. When the tooth dies, it will discolour and eventually abscess.

I was lucky and applied a liquid bandage(from the pharmacy) and was able to get the tooth pulp capped and restored the next day. By restore I mean that it has a permanent filling but it is not built up to the cusp height.

It’s been a few years now and he eats raw with no problems at all.

My boy broke his molar and exposed the nerve. It was only a pinpoint of red but that is enough to require attention. It is a spot for bacteria to enter the coronal tooth pulp and you will get a dead nerve and infection down the track. When the tooth dies, it will discolour and eventually abscess.

I was lucky and applied a liquid bandage(from the pharmacy) and was able to get the tooth pulp capped and restored the next day. By restore I mean that it has a permanent filling but it is not built up to the cusp height.

It’s been a few years now and he eats raw with no problems at all.

Thanks for the info Caffy! I am taking him to the vet tomorrow so if it is similar to your boys then hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow, if not wednesday.

Can you give me some info on the procedures involved please?

Did he go under for the capping? What is the recovery time? any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

My Zayda is about to have a premolar removed... she's had it fractured for years, but she recently lost more of it, so it's time to come out before it gets infected...

It's good to go to the vets and get them checked to make sure, so good on you for doing so and the other thing you can do whilst you are there is learn how to clean those particular teeth for Asher. It's often important to clean broken teeth, as they collect more plaque than other teeth as their surface has become fissured and it collects in the ridges.

With good cleaning a fractured or chipped tooth can last a long while, as long as it wasn't too bad in the first place.

Zayda and MY Asher wish YOUR Asher all the best with his teeth! :dropjaw:

Did he go under for the capping? What is the recovery time? any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Yes, he went under but didn't take long. I actually assisted as I'm in the teeth business...humans though.

Basically a pulpcapping paste is applied over the exposure, the area is cleaned before applying the restoration which is then set with an ultraviolet light. Xrays are also taken of the tooth.

Unfortunately the longer you leave an exposure, the less chance of success as bacteria from the saliva enters the exposure site. I was lucky that the liquid bandage was suggested to me and I was able to apply it within a couple of hours.

Good luck.

My Zayda is about to have a premolar removed... she's had it fractured for years, but she recently lost more of it, so it's time to come out before it gets infected...

It's good to go to the vets and get them checked to make sure, so good on you for doing so and the other thing you can do whilst you are there is learn how to clean those particular teeth for Asher. It's often important to clean broken teeth, as they collect more plaque than other teeth as their surface has become fissured and it collects in the ridges.

With good cleaning a fractured or chipped tooth can last a long while, as long as it wasn't too bad in the first place.

Zayda and MY Asher wish YOUR Asher all the best with his teeth! :dropjaw:

Thanks for your teeth brushing advice!!! Will definitely ask my Vet about that!

Another Asher..... in good company!!

MY Asher says thanks for your reply *tailwags*

Hope all goes well for Zayda and her premolar.

Asher and Nooki have their paws crossed for her fast recovery :laugh:

Yes, he went under but didn't take long. I actually assisted as I'm in the teeth business...humans though.

Basically a pulpcapping paste is applied over the exposure, the area is cleaned before applying the restoration which is then set with an ultraviolet light. Xrays are also taken of the tooth.

Unfortunately the longer you leave an exposure, the less chance of success as bacteria from the saliva enters the exposure site. I was lucky that the liquid bandage was suggested to me and I was able to apply it within a couple of hours.

Good luck.

Great info thanks Caffy!

Hopefully I have seen it early enough..... either way, I know its a recent break and better I have seen it now rather than in a years time!

Will update tomorrow if the vet can fit us in.

Thanks again peeps :dropjaw:

Thanks for your teeth brushing advice!!! Will definitely ask my Vet about that!

MY Asher says thanks for your reply *tailwags*

No problems... let us know how it all goes...

Another Asher..... in good company!!

Indeed... :happydance2:

Hope all goes well for Zayda and her premolar.

Asher and Nooki have their paws crossed for her fast recovery :cooldance:

Thanks! If I remember, I'll pop in and let you know how we go...

Visited the Vet this arvo.

Yep, that tooth is coming out in the morning.

Its cracked up a fair way and has to come out. The other one is ok and the Vet said it doesn't need extraction, but they will have a closer look tomorrow when Asher is sedated.

Going to go through teeth brushing tomorrow as well.

Will let you all know how we go tomorrow arvo :thumbsup:

just got back from dropping off my lil baby boy at the Vet.

I couldnt believe the emotion I felt. I was almost in tears on the way out and for the first 10 minutes after... and as we were walking home, Nooki kept looking behind her for Asher, which made me sadder........

Im totally fine now :laugh: im such a wuss!!

Chocolate, Asher has recently turned 3.