Toilet Training

How long do you think it will take for a pup to learn to hold it in all night on his own? I don't want to put this in the puppy forum as it's not really a problem rather a thought. I took on an adult rescue dog a few years ago and she'd been solely an outside dog until she lives with us. I did no training with her to teach her to hold it in over night or during the day, she just knew that she needed to go outside to the toilet.

Now I have a 9 week old puppy that I'm wondering how long it will take for him to learn to hold it on his own. I need him to learn this on his own as I am not home at night, I work night shifts and he's going to have to learn soon to hold it all night inside as I don't have anywhere secure and comfortable to keep him overnight. Currently he's in the laundry with the door open so he has access outside continuously and has been going outside on his own since he was about 5 weeks old (I bred his litter so he's been with me his whole life). But obviously winter is on it's way and I can't leave the door open forever. He is being trained to toilet outside when he's inside with me during the day as per normal and he is also being crate trained for short periods of time during the day again when I'm home.

I thought this was an interesting topic so posted here for a bit of discussion. My rescue girl learnt virtually straight away that she couldn't go inside after having spent her first 4 years outside. I don't think it's going to take 4 years to teach my pup this but was curious on what everyone's thoughts are! I think he should just about be right to trust inside by about 4 or 5 months as he'll be physically able to hold it all night and will be more than comfortable in a crate and should ideally be able to let me know when he needs to go out when he's inside and I am home. What does everyone else think?

It took my golden retriever about 2 weeks to learn when she was 8weeks old. So by 10 weeks she would hold it all night. I think that I continued to wake her up at 2-3am for a week more but then I stopped and never had to do it again.

It took my golden retriever about 2 weeks to learn when she was 8weeks old. So by 10 weeks she would hold it all night. I think that I continued to wake her up at 2-3am for a week more but then I stopped and never had to do it again.

That's my experienced too but I won't be home to take him out so I'm wondering how long it'll take for him to teach himself without me being there to take him out. Until he's able to hold it all night he's going to have access to outside continuously and it doesn't really worry me how long it will take. The situation just got me thinking on how long it might take for a pup to learn this on it's own!

Edited by Seita

Atlas was about 11 weeks - i think i was the same, i was still taking him out, even though he probably didnt need to go!

Can you install a doggie door? Then pup can come and go as he pleases, and the house and laundry will stay warm?

Atlas was about 11 weeks - i think i was the same, i was still taking him out, even though he probably didnt need to go!

Can you install a doggie door? Then pup can come and go as he pleases, and the house and laundry will stay warm?

Doggy door will probably happen eventually, at the moment I have no probs leaving the door open. I think this will be a bit of an experiment for me! :happydance2: It'll be interesting to see how long he takes to learn to go outside...

I have some cat flaps and i love them - one is from the laundry to the kitchen, all the cats stuff is in the laundry and i was sick of having to keep the dogs out, and then in winter it was freezing in the house! So i put the cat flap in and it solved all my problems! Dogs cant get in to get the food, cats can come and go as they like, and the house is WARM!! :happydance2:

I also have one going out into their cat run. Wish i had a set up so the dogs had a room they could come into during the day, but my unit isnt set up for that :happydance:

charlie was toilet trained in 2 days... (8 weeks)... he sleeps through the night on the 2nd night too home. so, he was really easy! we go to sleep at 11.30pm and wake up at 6.30pm.

usually take him outside for him to do his business before we go to bed though... but, we live in a 2 storey house and he is still too little to use the stairs (he sleeps in my room), so i have newspaper on my ensuite bathroom floor, if he has to do his business at the middle of the night, but he only have ever used it twice (so far)...