Skin Problems

Kavik

I think he has been scratching less. Skin still looks icky and smells though. Will do a Malaseb bath this weekend and see how that goes. Think I have stabilised his weight.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Update: He is still scratching and chewing himself, even on the antihistamines he was on before :eek: So back to square one as I can't justify getting another lot of these when he is still scratching so much.

Kavik, Im so sorry that things havent improved for Diesel. It must be very heartbreaking for you.

Sorry but I cant offer any advice, just wishing you both the best and hoping he improves soon.

Slightly OT but how is his training going? Or are you still having a break.

Thanks for the well wishes :wave: It is very frustrating and poor Diesel is still itchy :eek:

We are not doing much training - I run him over some jumps or through the tunnel when I have it set up for the others, and am doing some clicker training heel position on walks, which he enjoys. Nothing serious though.

Kavik,

I'm not sure if you're interested or whether it's in the budget but I came across these suits made for allergic dogs that have been clinically tested that the dogs won't overheat in them....

I first came across this one which I think would be better with the long legs, this one isn't the tested one though I don't think, although I have sent an e-mail asking: http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=96

This is their tested one: http://www.k9topcoat.com/pilot.asp?pg=comfort-coat

Edited by sas

I agree - it's an interesting idea and I can see how the body suit would assist in breaking the licking/scratching cycle which often is something that aggravates the original problem and makes it worse. I've 'book-marked' it for future reference.

I'd like to hear from more people who have used it though. I'd have concerns with it preventing full air flow and also preventing the shedding of old skin cells that would ordinarily come away from skin allergy stricken dogs, and the consequential build up of bacteria on skin that is pre-disposed to or already affected by secondary skin infection.

Kavik - if it were something that really did do the trick (and I think that relies on the licking/scratching cycle being the main culprit for the ongoing skin issue), then it would be worth using and keeping your two dogs separate for a while. However I do have concerns about its affect on a condition that has ongoing underlying cause/s.

Have you tried bathing with the Calendula Tea?

I haven't tried Calendula Tea. What is it and how is it beneficial?

I am sure the licking/scratching he does makes it a lot worse. If necessary I could keep them separate as I have some separate yards.

I haven't tried Calendula Tea. What is it and how is it beneficial?

I am sure the licking/scratching he does makes it a lot worse. If necessary I could keep them separate as I have some separate yards.

Basically, it is dried marigold flowers. Purchase from a health food shop. About $8.00 for a packet (which will last a while). I used it for Mandela when his hives erupted and also on some red spots which came up on the inside of his hind legs. Dr. Bruce Syme suggested it to me if I thought the scabs from his hives were looking as though they might be infected rather than healing. The difference inside 24 hours was quite amazing. I have used the tea on other rashy type spots and it does seem to take the redness away and provide him with relief.

I just brewed it as a tea (used a stocking that I put a teaspoon full in the bottom of and let it brew like you would if making a cuppa), let it cool then poured the liquid into a spray bottle and sprayed his coat with it (and rubbed it in with my hand so that it reached his skin). If he had only a few select areas that I thought could do with it, I just used a cotton ball that I dipped in the tea and rubbed over.

If it doesn't work, it is good for humans so you can always drink it yourself :thumbsup:.

ETA: If you try it Kavik, would you let me know how it goes? It worked so well for Mandela but I'm not sure if it was just coincidental or perhaps only works for a minority, so I'm interested to know.

Edited by Erny

I agree - it's an interesting idea and I can see how the body suit would assist in breaking the licking/scratching cycle which often is something that aggravates the original problem and makes it worse. I've 'book-marked' it for future reference.

I'd like to hear from more people who have used it though. I'd have concerns with it preventing full air flow and also preventing the shedding of old skin cells that would ordinarily come away from skin allergy stricken dogs, and the consequential build up of bacteria on skin that is pre-disposed to or already affected by secondary skin infection.

Kavik - if it were something that really did do the trick (and I think that relies on the licking/scratching cycle being the main culprit for the ongoing skin issue), then it would be worth using and keeping your two dogs separate for a while. However I do have concerns about its affect on a condition that has ongoing underlying cause/s.

Have you tried bathing with the Calendula Tea?

Heya,

There is text there that addressess your concerns, the material is breathable. They also have another product called 'top coat' that is anti-bacterial.

Wearing a suit doesn't allow the owner to neglect their duties to wash and brush their dog, without a suit on my dog has plenty of dead skin cells sitting through his coat.

Don't think you'll find many people who have used them as they're not in Australia, you have to buy them from America, one of those things you have to take a chance on and see how it goes, when you have an allergic dog you've already tried 1,000 things before :hug:

In many allergic dog cases owners never find out the true cause, so finding out the underlaying cause may not be realistic. I've had my dog tested and we still don't know the real causes or there are 100 causes that you have little control over.

Sometimes ya gotta try rather than just finding all the reasons not too :)

There is text there that addressess your concerns, the material is breathable. They also have another product called 'top coat' that is anti-bacterial.

Yes I did read that. I was just posting my concerns/doubts. The material might be antibacterial but it still would be entrapping scurf and scabs flaking off allergy skin, which would then rest there until the suit is removed.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I don't know. Just not sure about it is all. As I also acknowledged, it is a useful tool to bear in mind if the licking/scratching cycle is a big enough component to the continuance of the problem.

Must admit that for my boy, the thought of a suit on him holding in the constant shedding of scabs from hives that had erupted doesn't sit well for me. I already had to be careful about secondary skin infection and I think was able to treat it early enough to stop that in its tracks. The material may well be breathable but that doesn't mean the air-flow isn't reduced.

Yeah that's cool, just saying what the manufactor has tested.

My boy has lived in constant secondary skin infections since he was 4 months old so I understand that, although if I had the budget I'd be happy to try it, not a great deal to loose and the worse that could happen would be a course of anti-biotics (for us).

Sometimes gotta stick ya foot into the optimistic side even if it's to be confirmed incorrect later on LOL

I personaly know homepathic treatments work wonderfully for my dog but I know a tonne of people wouldn't even let their minds comprehend that, their loss I figure LOL

Try try try....my allergic dog motto LOL

Edited by sas

My boy has lived in constant secondary skin infections since he was 4 months old ...

Sorry to hear that, Sas. Try the Calendula 'tea' bath/wash next time you have a flair up of secondary skin infection. Worked for my boy (to rid infection - not a cure for the allergy itself) which meant I didn't need to resort to medication.

This is totally out of left field and I have not read the whole thread, so don't know all the suggestions that have gone before. We have a bitch that has had itchy skin for a long time, we cannot identify the cause, and she certainly is not any where as bad as your dog. We have swiched her to Farrells kibble(very low in protein), feed lamb off cuts to her and we have been using a product called Stockgain - animal liquid sweet feed as well, we give 10 mls daily. Google it, it has lots of great things in it. We are now feeding this to all the dogs with whatever food they are on....

It is described as an apetite stimulant on the internet - it contains yeast seaweed vitamins,minerals and trace elements with vitamin E and Selenium. I have told friends about it and it has really helped with skin complaints. One vet is recommending it to clients with dogs with skin problems too, so it may just be worth a try. Our girl is really good and has regained her lovely coat and is shiny and healthy looking again....Only trouble is I have only seen it in 2.5 or 5 litre bottles so that is a bit much for an experiment. 2.5 Litres is about $25 from memory.

My boy has lived in constant secondary skin infections since he was 4 months old ...

Sorry to hear that, Sas. Try the Calendula 'tea' bath/wash next time you have a flair up of secondary skin infection. Worked for my boy (to rid infection - not a cure for the allergy itself) which meant I didn't need to resort to medication.

:laugh: I should instantly try your suggestion though eh....you're a funny lady!

As I said Homepathy works fine for us, beaten every secondary skin infection he's had since he's been on it :laugh: