Weight Loss

Hi all (I'm having a big day of posting today!)

My dog is a bit overweight and I would like to get him down about 1.5-2kg. He weights 12kg at the moment. What is a healthy rate of weight loss for a dog - over what amount of time should I expect him to lose weight?

Thanks

- Jaynie

I usually feed pro plan with a bit of yoghurt on it - I have also been feeding bones and raw - but I think for the purpose of me being able to figure stuff out :eek: more easily I'll just keep him on dry for a while. I've noticed a massive return of energy after only a few days of feeding him less too which is great.

I'm currently feeding him half a cup of PP with about a Tbsp of yoghurt - (sometimes alternate yoghurt with oil or a raw egg now and then)

Edited by Garden Girl

You can use pumpkin as a filler food too - when I wanted to take the weight off Zero, i put him on a low fat kibble (first optimum which was recommended to me and surprisingly good for weight loss, and then artemis which stripped the last couple of kilos off him really quickly) and halved what he usually had for dinner.

He was 43kgs when I got him - he's now 29 (i'm going to take him down to 27 - the top of the sibe breed standard) and he's lost that in about a year.

I have one dog that I put on a diet a few weeks ago and started feeding Eukanuba Weight Control dry food.

I have just started to notice that she now has a waistline so it is definitely working.

I put warm boiled chicken + juices over the dry and she loves it.

Forgot to say that if you phone the Eukanuba phone number on the pack they will give you advice on how much to feed your particular dog.

Edited by STITCH