Puppy Not Doing So Well On Barf

Stick with it - as it is worth it in the long run - the rewards are huge - healthy long lived dogs

means that the effort to feed a properly balanced diet is worth it.

I disagree - don't stick with it if it doesn't work for you or your dog. Feed what suits your dog best - packaged or unpackaged.

A properly balanced diet is worth it - but a high qualitydry food will give you that per bowl - be it high quality dry or well thought out raw...if it works for your dog then great, if it doesn't then go with what does.

BARF doesn't suit every dog. I'd be wary of pancreatitis given the results you've been seeing.

If you do wish to continue, feed lower fat meat cuts, only feed meat on the bone (or with bone) and increase the vegetable content in some meals. You shoud also include offal in a raw diet.

[quote name='tyra20007' date='28th Apr 2009 - 11:25 AM' post='3633228'

Stick with it - as it is worth it in the long run - the rewards are huge - healthy long lived dogs

means that the effort to feed a properly balanced diet is worth it.

Just as many dogs live long healthy lives on commercial diets too, the best diet for your dog is the one it does best on, be it raw or processed.

We lost a family dog last year aged 16 he ate the same premium commercial diet all his life, he was healthy and happy right to the very end.

Edited by Crisovar

Feed your dog food that it does well on. I've wasted soooooooooooooo much time researching the best diets and brands of food to feed my beloved babies and you know what they are back on a premium dry food with a few bits and peices added to it and are all doing well.

I'm doing an assignment at the moment where I have to formulate horse rations that have to per perfect for the horses age, weight, activity level and breed. OHMIGORD it's extremely hard balancing the ratios and I would never try to do this now for my dogs when a good brand of dogfood is already doing it all for me!