Wishing To Hear From Those Who's Dogs Have Had Success Or Relief

Thanks for responding K9Katz :banghead: Can I ask you to clarify what you mean about the timing of the injections? Like time of day??? :rofl:

No we didn't get the blood test SPOT done - is that through the dermatologist as well?

What I meant was to make sure that you dont skip days, if the jabs are due 1 week apart, then make sure it is 1 week exactly and not 1 week and 1 day. I presume that different programs would be similar. For example with the SPOT one you build up the amount you give every other day for the first 15 days and then the spaces get further apart as you go from each set ( 3 to complete the course) until the maint is monthly.

All was done through my vet. Non invasive and cheaper than intra dermal. Blood is sent to the USA for assesment and anaylsis and includes food allergies, intra dermal, I believe, does not, hence the need for food elimination diets. Here is the website for the SPOT http://www.vetallergy.com

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great news about Zayda no longer getting the horrible hives! :laugh: Thankfully Benson has never had hives or a rash he just simply scratches or chews till he has ripped out the hair and skin.

The hives were the new symptom that signaled the need to retest for us... so Zayda had never had them up until that point either... It was bloody frightening the first time she had them, and they progressively got worse and more uncomfortable for her... really awful! The scratching / chewing / infections were bad enough :) So glad to have them under control for now...

I agree it's worth a shot! Do you ever feel like you have done half a dermatology degree? I mean I sometimes do these days, yet you have two with differeing issues so you must feel like you have a Phd by now!

:) Yesssss, Our Derm jokes that I have a honorary Derm nursing qual... She was shocked when I ID'ed a case of Pemphigus that went out as we came in... you just learn stuff... info I never wanted to know and wish I didn't need to!! :laugh:

Benson is moderately allergic to a lot of things on top of the list I posted including fleas, oats and tobacco (I am still smoking but starting Champix this weekend to aid me to quit - have smoked from 16 and am turning 30 on monday so not easy :( )

Ah right, well at least you have a smaller list for the "biggies", I hope it stays that way for you...

Good luck with quitting... and happy birthday!

Has he started the injections yet? Are you only desensitising for the list you posted, or are you doing the moderate ones too?

Edited by zayda_asher

Hey Zayda_Asher - the weekend got away from me so I didn't get a chance to read that thread yet but will and also will post tonight what they are putting in the injections as there were a few from the moderate that were included.

And thank you for the b'day wishes and thoughts on giving up - so freakin hard.

Ha! What are weekends? :laugh: Not sure they happen here... :eek:

Let us know how you go with the injections when they start... are you going to do them at home?

Make sure you find little things to reward yourself with whilst you are quitting... positive reinforcement will help you get through :laugh:

Hey quick question - got through some of the thread yesterday and I was thinking I may actually be making Benson worse as I had been washing him in Oatmeal shampoo of late and he is actually allergic to oats - what are you're thoughts? I do have evening primrose shampoo so I think I will switch to getting him washed in that weekly.

Hey buy the way - what breeds of dogs do you have?

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

FTPO - Orbit got a positive result back to oats with his SPOT test and I always found any oatmeal shampoo or conditioner did make him worse. There is a fair amount of question over the validity of the food results with the blood test (though the company that does it had a lot of info proving it's correct, but who knows), but this made sense for us so we avoid it. Mind you, I'd be avoiding it anyway regardless of the test results because it makes him worse.

I now only use shampoos that have no oatmeal or any plant extracts.

Hey... I actually asked about this when we had Zayda re-tested.... What you need to do is get the dog under control and then test to see if they have a contact reaction. Just because they react to the pollens (inhalant) or proteins (orally) doesn't mean they will react through contact. Zayda came up atopic to oats, but we use Episoothe no problems... However, Asher responds both atopically and contact to tea tree, as does another friend's Staffy to oats. So you have to test and see!

ETA: you want to look for immediate reaction after contact; so discomfort, redness, itching etc. With the contact reactions my guys have had they have normally been a very quick response. Asher also finds the things he contact reacts to quite distressing smell wise as well, but he could just have a sensitive nose.

Edited by zayda_asher

I use epitsoothe on both my guys unless they actually have a secondary infection. Keeps their skin in much better condition that constant medicated shampoo use. And Aloveen conditioner if they need it.

HOWEVER, for some reason both my guys started reacting to the malaseb, so not sure what we will use if we do need to go the medicated route again. We never ascertained if they changed the formula or what happened...

Asher I have to check every new product as he is allergic to the propylene glycol which is in 99% of things, so that means calling the company a lot of the time as they only list active ingredients on most animal products.

http://shop.rufusandcoco.com.au/p-7-itch-relief.aspx

I think I will order this Rufus and Coco shampoo as it does not contain oatmeal or plant extracts to ensure I am not further irritating his skin, as long term use of the pyohex has actually created dandruff.

Selenium sulfide

Selenium sulfide is an anti-infective agent used as a shampoo to relieve itching and flaking of the scalp. In people prone to dandruff, an uninflamed form of seborrhoeic dermatitis, the fungus Malassezia can cause irritation, itching and increased shedding of dead skin cells in areas of the scalp. This shedding may occur every 5 days rather than once a month as it would in people without dandruff.

Ok so here are the things going into the injections. Bent Grass, Perennial Rye Grass, Couch, Red Clover, Yellow Dock, Rough Pigweed, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Pine, Willow Arroyo, D.farinae and D.pteronyssinus.

He had weak reactions to; House Fly and Cockroach

Moderate reactions to; Oat, Bent Grass, Red Clover, English Couch, Elm, Eucalyptus, Privet, Palm, Plane Tree (sycamore), Flea, D.farinae and D.pteronyssinus (in both concentrations), mixed feathers and Tobacco.

Strong to - Perennial Rye Grass, Wheat, Couch, Yellow Dock, Rough Pigweed, Melaleuca, Pine and Willow Arroyo.

I feed bones daily and 3/4 of a cup morning and night of Artemis Maximal Dog and have been get a weekly hydrobath in Oatmeal Shampoo, which I will change to put my mind at ease about that. He is on Atopica will be for around about 6 more mths as it is enough to keep him from ripping his hair out and creating open sores (hot spots) even though it does not prevent licking and scratching, these still have lessened.

So I have everything crossed that in 6 mths when we take Benson off the Atopica his itching remains at the level it is now or better.

Edit - forgot to add he get a little over a table spoon of natural yoghurt with breakfast and every second day a tin of sardines, plus Performa 3 oil which once I have finished this bottle I will not get again as I don't think he likes it at all - but I have heard from another Doler about Emu Oil capsuls - no worry of heavy metal, just need to research a little more about the balance of the omega oils. Mind you he did really well on Mega Oil - so many things to consider ... *sigh*

Further edit - he currentlt gets Advantix and Interceptor Spectrum once a mth

Good luck with the ASIT, looks like they've prolly added in the "top" of the medium level allergens as well... hope it helps!!

I've seen a bit about emu oil, but my guys always did well on what we used, so I never really looked into it... looks like Zayda is still safe with salmon, so we shouldn't have to worry about swapping... but it would be worth keeping in mind... I do think Emu is high in Omega 6 though perhaps?? That's just a random memory, may be wrong...

Good luck with the ASIT, looks like they've prolly added in the "top" of the medium level allergens as well... hope it helps!!

I've seen a bit about emu oil, but my guys always did well on what we used, so I never really looked into it... looks like Zayda is still safe with salmon, so we shouldn't have to worry about swapping... but it would be worth keeping in mind... I do think Emu is high in Omega 6 though perhaps?? That's just a random memory, may be wrong...

No, you're right about the omega 6 being higher in emu oil - have been looking into it today, and thank you - will post when Benson comes off the Atopica :thumbsup: