Diet For Dogs With Liver Problem

Surely they mean whole ground turkey, bones and all? Otherwise the diet as written here looks terribly deficient in calcium.

I'd check the turkey details with Sunny's owner, and also suggest you give the recipe to your vet to check over as well (both in case they have a problem with it, and to keep them in the loop with what your dog is being feed to help co-ordinate her treatment with her diet).

Good luck - I hope your wee girl is feeling better soon.

o

That's what I thought initially too,then I figured she cooked this...I guess the only way to find out is to0 email her and ask. Seems many liver disease dogs have been helped on this regime from what I can figure.

Thanks for the reply, have been busy recently. I will email Sunny's owner (at first I thought it is someone on DOL forum, but then realised Sunny is the dog on the website link)

Chelsea had a blood test on Sat, ALT has gone back up, from 11xx to 29xx, disappointing result.

I asked the vet about the l/d food, he said it can be mixed with some chicken and rice, he thinks it is important for Chelsea to eat something, as Chelsea's weight has been going down.

Chelsea still doesn't like the l/d food, or the rice, but she will take chicken. I have done a mix in there, but she will just dig out the chicken and eat

The vet said to continue with her current treatment, Clavolux + Ursodeoxycholic acid, and do another blood test 10 days later.

DOnt know if this helps at all, I had a cat with liver failure, I saw a herbalist back home and she made up a blend of herbs which really helped, i am sure somebody here in Australia could come up with something similar. The herbalist advised me that my cat must eat natural food and not processed food, cat wouldnt eat dry pellets etc anyway. What they recommended for her was a lot of raw chicken and then some cooked couscous, rice or pasta.

Chelsea still doesn't like the l/d food, or the rice, but she will take chicken. I have done a mix in there, but she will just dig out the chicken and eat

If the vet thinks it's important for her to have rice with the chicken (rather than just suggesting it to save you money!), you could perhaps blend them together in a food processor so she can't pick bits out?

I've found that microwaving food slightly to warm it up (just to body temperature) can also tempt sick animals to eat - might be worth a try, if you haven't already given it a go?

I hope it all works out for you and Chelsea.

I'd suggest doing a little reading on cholangiohepatitis and checking with your vet. From what I can see, it is not uncommon in cats, but very rare in dogs and hard to diagnose. It is not primarily a liver problem. Petplace states: "Cholangiohepatitis is an inflammatory disorder of the bile ducts and adjacent liver tissue. It is one of the more common liver diseases seen in cats and is recognized only infrequently in dogs. "

It also indicates that it is a very serious disease, and full diagnosis is likely to require, among other things, a liver biopsy.