Help With Settling In A New Addition

pinktasha

Hi all,

We just brought home a 5 month old black lab yesterday, he had been fostered by a awesome lady for a few months as his original owner could not look after him, He is halfway to being trained lol...he knows a few basics like sit, down, speak, he's working on stay :)

He slept outside at his previous house, and last night when we had him at home we let him in the house for a few hours to get a feel for the place and explore the house, but when I tried to put him out to sleep he barked and cried for at least 3 hours before he settled. I called his foster mum and she basically said to just ignore him and let him settle.

Is this the right thing to do? When I went out this morning he was very excited to see me and wet himself a little bit, but then calmed down, I spent an hour with him this morning doing some training and playing out the backyard, and then have shut the door and he has been quietly playing for the last hour and a half outside.

Tonight when we go to bed should I just let him bark again (im sure the neighbours aren't amused at the moment lol) and will he eventually settle into the routine, I guess its a big change for him and he is a little freaked out.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what i should do?

thanks

I think you should approach your neighbours, if they are friendly, and just let them know you are working on the problem.

First few nights should be the worst (hopefully).

I presume you have given him a nice warm bed in a protected area??

You could also try giving him a bone or similar to chew as a going to bed treat.

Also, don't play with him or stimulate him before bedtime. He should get into the routine but it will be difficult for him to go from nice warm inside house with company to cold, dark, lonely outside without company. He may be the type of dog that will settle down now - time will tell.

Why don't you discuss it with the foster mum - she will know him best. :)

We have his bed from his previous home as he is very attached to it, and we have him outside under the awning in a closed of area so its not exposed to the weather, And yes I might pop into the neighbours this afternoon and let them know whats going on :)

We have his bed from his previous home as he is very attached to it, and we have him outside under the awning in a closed of area so its not exposed to the weather, And yes I might pop into the neighbours this afternoon and let them know whats going on :)

If you dont mind him inside why dont you try him sleeping inside with you? I find that most dogs prefer sleeping inside with their owners, especially labs! :laugh:

We thought about that, but because he is going to get so big we just thought it may be better for him to sleep outside, and as thats what he has been doing as well. I think we might just have to try a few different things before we get sorted. He's better tonight, took him down the park for a few hours with my son and he's quite happy in the yard now, but we'll see how he is later tonight lol

a dog is a dog irrespective of the size. Decide what you want, an indoor/outdoor dog or soley outdoor and stick to it now.

if you never want him in the house then dont let him wander inside to 'explore'. The worst thing you can try is different things, chop and change. Give him a routine/pattern and stick to it. The more you change the more confused and anxious he will be so preferably you decide before bringing the dog home what you will do. It doesnt matter about old habits etc a dog willl conform to what you want if you stick to the rules about it ;)

His crying is simply an adjustment, wear him out before bed time and he'll sleep no worries. Make sure he is nice and warm though and has everything he needs. He may need a jacket this time of year it can be freezing for a baby.