Air Travel Training And Preparation

Hello Everyone,

I just want to ask if anyone has done any specific training with their dogs to help make a flight easier.

Like locking them in the cage for periods of time in a dark room prior to flight to get them use to it??

Take him to the airport prior to see how handles it??

Does these sorts of activites help??

I'd be taking my Belgain Shep (will be almost 3yo) if we decide to move from Brisbane to Perth in July/August.

If anyone has any advice for the possible trip (including where to get a reasonably priced cage from) please throw it my way, I have never flown a pet before, so I need all the help I can get.

Also wooden or plastic cages better?

Any other Belgain owners can recommend the right size for his comfort?

Thanks!

(PS I hope I have posted this to the right area. Sorry if I haven't.)

ring your local airport cargo center and see if they have crates you can hire.. have you ever crate trained your dog?? if you have then it might be easier for him to handle being in a crate then one that hasnt.

i cant give you suggestions of where to look for cheap crates as im in NZ so no use with that one sorry..

he should be able to stand up, lie down and turn around easily in the crate.

ring your local airport cargo center and see if they have crates you can hire..

I have looked into hiring, and to be quite honest, the price for buying the crates I have found so far and the dogs ticket, it's working out to be the same, so I'm thinking I might just buy my own crate to keep.

have you ever crate trained your dog?? if you have then it might be easier for him to handle being in a crate then one that hasnt.

As far as I'm aware, he has never been in a crate. How do I crate-train?? Whats involved?

there are a few threads on here on crate training..

basically from what i know (have never done it myself but im thinking about it) it involves training your dog to be confined to a crate at certain times.. eg. nighttime, while your out, when you have guests that dont like dogs...

good luck finding a crate..

maybe stick a wanted ad in your local paper or the like

there are a few threads on here on crate training..

basically from what i know (have never done it myself but im thinking about it) it involves training your dog to be confined to a crate at certain times.. eg. nighttime, while your out, when you have guests that dont like dogs...

good luck finding a crate..

maybe stick a wanted ad in your local paper or the like

Thanks heaps! Will keep searching the forum for more info!

Before I flew my dog, I did a couple of trips out to the airport to see how she reacted to the noise of the planes - plan was to repeat it (desensitise) if she show fear or stress - she was just excited and happy, so I didn't need to.

In addition to crate training him, once he is crate trained take him and his crate to some busy and/or noisy place and see how he reacts in the crate while there's a lot of noise going on. Some dogs trained later in life are fine so long as there's not too much happening, so test him out first. Also, is he a very protective dog? Protective of "his" things? If so he may not like strangers coming around him when he's in the crate, so try him on this too (the freight handlers will be pushing, lifting, moving the crate with him in it). Don't make a big deal out of it - dogs don't know they're flying so he'll probably just think he's in a weird new car, but if you're stressed and nervous he will pick this up from you. Rescue Remedy for both migh help :-)

Thanks for these ideas.

Also, is he a very protective dog? Protective of "his" things?

Good point. He is very territorial over "his" yard and me, but mainly towards other dogs. He generally ignores everyone else but my husband and I.

I think I am going to have to take him to meet the airport and the area that he needs to go to. Then gradually take it to a level of the handlers being around him in the crate.

Thanks!