Introducing A New Pup

LittleRock

Im justing wondering how everyone has introduced a new pup to their current junior? My current boy is 16mths and l now have a new girl (16 weeks) everything is going ok. But l just wanted to make sure that l'm doing eveything possible to ensure a smooth introduction. This is my new girl...

post-25154-1244532669_thumb.jpg

and my current excitable young man

post-25154-1244532691_thumb.jpg

Also how much play, is enough play? Like when does it become over the top and stressful. Cause sometimes l call play time quits for them, but my little pup just looks like she goes back for more or starts playing with me.

When I introduce Missey (8weeks Pomeranian) to Mr Fluffy (5mth Pom x Chi) I kept a close eye on them for the weekend.

The first day Missy was overwhelmed, but then she was fine and played with Fluffy as much as he played with her.

I was concerned Fluffy was being too rough, But after letting them play without interfering I noticed whenever Missy wanted a break she would make a certain bark or go over to the water bowl, and Fluffy would stop playing. He would wait for her to start before they began playing together.

And though it seemed like they would, they didnt go on playing forever. They did settle down so Missy still got her little naps during the day (we have a pet carry bag out for her. When she went in Fluffy was not allowed to keep annoying her)

I think puppies know when enough is enough. Im no expert, but when watching my two, I looked out for if Missy was trying to get away but couldnt or if she was playing back. Other then the first day, we have not had to seperate them.

Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it has worked for us.

Good Luck

I had Atlas, 18 month old Bull Terrier when i got Kaos, 4 month old Staffy.

I put them in the yard together, she had a go at him, (Dog aggressive) he pinned her and since she has been scared of him :happydance:

i crated her when i was at work for a few weeks, had someone come over a few times to let her out, it only took a few weeks for me to trust them to be in the yard together all the time. Play wise, they were both pretty full on, i would jump in if i thought it was too rough (even now i will, tho they dont play as hard as they used to! they are 6 and 4 now).

My neighbours have told me they dont play much during the day, it is only when i am home that they play, neighbour did ring once saying they were killing each other.. but it was only kaos talking (we all know how loud staffs can be when they play!!)

Good luck with them!

Edited by Teebs

Bobchic:

I think puppies know when enough is enough.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. Puppies can be badly injured if they are allowed to indulge in too much rough play, especially with adults larger than they are. Staffies are notoriously hard players.

I would limit play and separate them initially while you are away until you can guage what sort of play they are getting up to. If the older dog isn't enjoying the attention from the pup, then separation will be even more important.

Bobchic:
I think puppies know when enough is enough.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is true. Puppies can be badly injured if they are allowed to indulge in too much rough play, especially with adults larger than they are. Staffies are notoriously hard players.

I would limit play and separate them initially while you are away until you can guage what sort of play they are getting up to. If the older dog isn't enjoying the attention from the pup, then separation will be even more important.

I agree with this, puppies are like kids, they often get very carried away and then one of them gets hurt because they got too carried away and no one interfered when it started getting very rough.

Im actually finding that my 16 mth old boy is the one that is starting it. :D its doing my head in :) When they stop playing the pupp starts wanting to start a game with me, by nipping me. which of course l yelp to tell her that she has over done it.