Lens Replacement Surgery

Okay, now it's Zoe's turn to be giving me grief!! :thumbsup:

She has had what we thought was an ulcer on her eye which the vet has been treating with Ciloxan drops and Viscotears. The vet didn't want to give her any anti-inflammatories as she has had issues with her liver and immune problems in the past so we use these sparingly with her. So after 2 weeks with very slow improvement and the eye still being quite red we took her off to the Opthamologist today. Well he has said that she has had something (most likely a thorn or a plant frond) go right through her eye and back out again (CRINGE!!) which has left her with a tear in her lens (approx 3mm).

We've got some prednisolone drops to give her to bring down the swelling and he is going to re-assess on Tuesday. He said she may need surgery to remove the lens and have it replaced with an artificial one which is pretty successful apparently (and spensive!). Hopefully if she needs it then it will be covered by insurance.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens replacement surgery and if it was a success?

There was a story in the West or Sunday times a few weeks back re an older dog operated on at Murdoch Vets, I know it wasnt Ziggy Chester ( EXCELLENT Eye Vet) but I cant recall the name of the vets, call there I am sure they will have info

Good Luck

J

Okay, now it's Zoe's turn to be giving me grief!! :thumbsup:

She has had what we thought was an ulcer on her eye which the vet has been treating with Ciloxan drops and Viscotears. The vet didn't want to give her any anti-inflammatories as she has had issues with her liver and immune problems in the past so we use these sparingly with her. So after 2 weeks with very slow improvement and the eye still being quite red we took her off to the Opthamologist today. Well he has said that she has had something (most likely a thorn or a plant frond) go right through her eye and back out again (CRINGE!!) which has left her with a tear in her lens (approx 3mm).

We've got some prednisolone drops to give her to bring down the swelling and he is going to re-assess on Tuesday. He said she may need surgery to remove the lens and have it replaced with an artificial one which is pretty successful apparently (and spensive!). Hopefully if she needs it then it will be covered by insurance.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens replacement surgery and if it was a success?

I got the surgery for my old boy when he got cataracts. Two issues, maybe related, and possibly not a problem any more now as it was 6 years ago:

1. At the time, the replacement lenses didn't come in the larger size he needed so they didn't sit centred once in. Didn't seem to bother him as he could see again, and obviously not an issue with a small pooch like yours.

2. His pupils could no longer contract. Wide open all the time, even in bright sunlight. This could be related to point #1, but is also a possible side effect of the surgery anyway.