Crate Issue When At Training/trials

Hi,

just looking for a few suggestions. I'm having an issue with oscar in that he was crate trained as a pup, is happy to go in his crate, even sleeps in there voluntarily if I leave one open in the house. BUT, when I am at an agility trial, he carries on like a pork chop if he is left in his crate and I am running Muffin. Doesnt carry on if they are BOTH in the crate (they share a big crate, always have at trials and have always been happy with that arrangement) - but he digs, chews, etc to try and get out if he knows Muffin is running. Covering the crate has improved it slightly, he now only tries for a minute or so and then gives up.

I'm about to invest in a c-crate secura pen which obviously has no base, and I'm concerned he will be able to dig out under the c-crate so I'd like some suggestions on how to stop him from carrying on in the first place.

I've tried setting the crate up at home and feeding him in there, sleeping him in there etc and he is fine with it, he enjoys it, its only when we are trialling that I have a problem so I'm at a bit of a loss.

TIA

Sarah

Edited by muffincav

They spend a good deal of time together as they share a run while I am at uni. I make an effort to have one inside one outside and then swap while I am at home, and also leave one inside while I'm training and then swap again. I dont think that Oscar is pining for Muffin, I think he is just jealous that she is with me and he is not, at his favourite sport - because if I take muffin outside to train and leave him inside, he curls up on his bed and goes to sleep (he doesnt know that she is necesarily doing agility training I guess?) But I could be wrong.

Muffin,jealousy is a human emotion and for a dog to experience jealousy he would have to have an intellect as we do.

Being apart at home is one thing but what happens if you take one dog completely away from home,whilst leaving the other? Tony

Dont have an issue taking them anywhere on their own. I dont train Muffin at a club any more as I have moved, but I used to have oscar on one night and muffin on another and they were taken on their own, never once did they fuss or seem to notice the other was not there. Oscar still goes training (off my property) on his own and sometimes trials on his own and is fine, and is fine if I take him for a walk without Muffin.

I guess if push comes to shove I could try leaving oscar in the crate (at trials) and muffin in the c-crate pen, and oscar would be less aware. Would rather fix the root issue though.

Thanks for your help so far tonymc :laugh:

I agree that jealousy is a human emotion but for the purposes of this discussion, it is probably as good a word to use as any.

You are not alone Sarah. Many, many dogs carry on at agility when the handler is running their other dog.

I think there are a few of reasons why they do:

First and foremost, most of us are considerate of other people at trials, so in trying to keep noise to a minimum, the first thing we do is give them attention when they carry on. They learn really quickly that making a fuss will probably make us come back.

Secondly, in training, we have revved them up & rewarded them for following our commands. It is very hard for some dogs (mine included) to sit & watch us give commands to another dog. Mine are so programmed to following what I say that they don't seem to realise I am not saying it to them.

Thirdly, trials are often a highly charged atmosphere. Many dogs get excited watching other dogs run, but when they have to watch their owner & their mate it can be too much. Adrenalin levels are higher at trials (both ours & theirs) & being confined with all that adrenalin & nothing to do with it can & does cause unwanted behaviours.

Things which I think can help:

I always cover the dog I am not running, just while I run.

I never go back if there is a fuss as I don't want them to be rewarded for the fuss.

I ask a friend to stand near the crate. Mine won't take food at a trial while I am running the other dog, but many dogs will & this often helps to feed them while they are quiet. I tend to get someone else to bang the crate & it usually works but I wouldn't do/advise this for all dogs.

I also discovered that at training (not at trials), my dogs are much happier & can sit & watch quietly in a stay if they are not confined in any way. I think doing this at training has certainly helped them settle at trials.

The last trial I went to, someone handed me a tub of food & asked me to get her dog to do tricks while she ran the other one. I didn't know what tricks he knew but he was a good boy & was so happy to show me all his tricks that I knew his whole repertoire by the time she came back. He was fully aware she was running & usually goes beserk, but he was having fun, so his attention was 100% on me.

At the end of the day, remember that there are much worse things in life than having a dog so keen to play with you that they go crazy when they can't.

Hope this helps.

Vickie

Edited by Vickie

Thanks Vickie you make some good points - and yes it could be much worse :laugh:

I have had people bang on his crate before which had some limited success, I might try it again and try to get it to happen *every* time he makes a fuss not just if they are nearby. I'm going to get a cover made for the c-crate pen so I'll be able to cover him in the same way that I cover his normal crate, so hopefully banging + darkness will make a difference. And if not I guess I'll continue to apologise to my neighbours and say feel free to tell him to shut up or bang on his crate :cry:

I will try having him on a sit-stay when I train Muffin in the backyard also.