Treating Ticks And Itchiness

Hello all

I am in need of advice please regarding my two pups, a 6 month cavalier and a 5 1/2 month beagle and treating ticks.

We moved house a week ago and since then have been plagued by ticks. They seem to be either dog ticks or brown bush ticks.

As soon as I saw the first one I used Advantix on both of them. It hasn't stopped them getting on them, as I pressume it wouldn't but very few of them are attached. I check them twice a day and pull off heaps of them each time.

They had a great play in the rain yesterday so I washed them with an anti itch shampoo then put on a tick collar as I wasn't keen on paying $50 a fortnight for tick treatment and the collar are $12 for 2 months. I woke up at 11pm to hear my cavalier crying and very distressed in his crate. I immediately took the collar off and let him out, he was agitated and couldn't stop scratching. He settled down after a while then went back to sleep finally. The beagle seems fine but they are both very itchy.

I have been feeding a lot more dry food (Advance) than I used to so I am wondering if that could be contributing to their itchiness?

How should I tackle this tick problem and itchiness? They seem to pick them up when we go walking along the footpath.

I have heard of proban but I thought it only treated paralysis ticks and takes a month to be active.

Many thanks

I use Permoxin spray and it works for my guys. Touch wood I have never had an issue with either fleas or ticks.

I spray weekly and that's about all I use here but your area might have more fleas than what we have?

Thanks Winterpaws. I have never seen a flea on them. Does the Permoxin spay work as soon as it is applied?

Does it make them itchy?