Whining Puppy

Jetty

Hi Dolers.

I need to get more sleep! :thumbsup:

My 4 and a half month old puppy has been whining the last few nights. I am unsure what it is it could be the rain maybe? since he usually is really good. I know that alot of people say to ignore the puppy sometimes if he starts whining but it is becoming a bit hard over the last few nights. I was away for Friday night and my parents were looking after Jet. They told me he was whining all night long.

On saturday night I went to my grandparents and my family including many cousins and my sisters were there for the night. My uncle has a new born 4 month old baby and when Jet started to whine for ages I had to let him in to make sure he would not disturb all the kids & baby who were asleep. So he slept in bed with me that night.

Last night, he was placed into the laundry with my other 8 year old dog to sleep. He whined for a bit then was okay however early this morning he was whining again! I had to let him in as I live in a new estate where the houses are only a couple of metres apart.

Can anyone give me a solution to stop the whining??

Did you take the puppy out to the toilet?

Does the puppy have somewhere warm to sleep? Bed? Crate? Blanket? in a familiar place?

Is the puppy in any pain? Unwell?

Seems strange that it would start now after a few months of not whining. Don't put the puppy back in the bed with you unless this is something you are happy with doing for the rest of his life. He is not 8 weeks old anymore..he needs to learn.

Did you take the puppy out to the toilet?

Does the puppy have somewhere warm to sleep? Bed? Crate? Blanket? in a familiar place?

Is the puppy in any pain? Unwell?

Seems strange that it would start now after a few months of not whining. Don't put the puppy back in the bed with you unless this is something you are happy with doing for the rest of his life. He is not 8 weeks old anymore..he needs to learn.

Yes i took him outside to go to the loo, he has a dog bed and blanket and he sleeps in the same place everynight. He is in perfect health. I am trying my best not to let him sleep in my bed. I am not sure what else to do with him.

Was your parents dog there too?

Not on the saturday night. I though it may have been that too but then he has done it the other nights when the other dog was there.

I dare say he has you well trained :rofl: If he is physically fine, then it really should be ignored. He is obviously very determined-and as he has achieved results once now, he will be even more determined :rofl: It's a battle of wills really .. who can outlast the other!

Does he whine as soon as you put him in the laundry or does it not start until later?

You said he spent the night at some relatives house.. does this happen regularly? Is he the kind of dog that could be sensitive to sleeping in a place that changes often?

Crates are a great idea.. putting it in the room for a while can help rectify the problem if they are lonely etc. Better option than having them in the actual bed with you, IMO.

Lilly is 5mths and still sometimes whines the first 2 weeks she did it and then i put her outside and it seemed to stop when ever she hears me up thats it she is awake!!!! i know its so hard as your that tired you will do anything to make them stop, but trust me if you keep at it he will stop. they just want to be with us thats all

He was alot better last night! Instead of the laundry he was outside so maybe he was all weird due to not being outside but somewhere else?

I dare say he has you well trained :love: If he is physically fine, then it really should be ignored. He is obviously very determined-and as he has achieved results once now, he will be even more determined :) It's a battle of wills really .. who can outlast the other!

Does he whine as soon as you put him in the laundry or does it not start until later?

You said he spent the night at some relatives house.. does this happen regularly? Is he the kind of dog that could be sensitive to sleeping in a place that changes often?

Crates are a great idea.. putting it in the room for a while can help rectify the problem if they are lonely etc. Better option than having them in the actual bed with you, IMO.

He didnt whinge at all last night I wentto bed early coz I was sick but I didnt hear a peep out of him until I opened to back door to feed him breaky :thumbsup:

Hopefully it will stay like this now. I only had him in the laundry due to the rain.

Lilly is 5mths and still sometimes whines the first 2 weeks she did it and then i put her outside and it seemed to stop when ever she hears me up thats it she is awake!!!! i know its so hard as your that tired you will do anything to make them stop, but trust me if you keep at it he will stop. they just want to be with us thats all

I know what you mean about the if they hear you bit! :laugh:

I know you say he has a blanket and he's warm but I wonder if he is still actually cold. Is he laying on top of the blanket or does it cover him. If he's just on top of it, he wont be kept warm by it. maybe he needs to either wear a coat or be covered over, snuggled underneath a blanket. I've found mine will cry if they are cold.

Thanks. he actually does wear a coat. last night he did not whinge until he heard us up this morning. so I am guessing all of this may of been coz he was not in his usual place outside?