Toilt Training A 3yo Male!

Hi All,

In all the dogs myself/my family have owned, we have been so fortunate to never need to toilet train a dog - until now.

My 3yo male Belgian, who has become a very inside dog since the passing of our other dog a few weeks ago, has decided in the last week to start urinating inside. The sneaky bugger goes around to the other side of a wall or waits till there is no one in the room before he pees/marks something. So unless you hapen to head in the direction of the accident, your not even aware it has happened.

I praise him anytime he urinates outside. I make sure to encourage him to use a tree before he comes inside. He is so far only peeing on the tiled surfaces (that I know of :thumbsup: )

How do I discipline when I don't see him do it inside?

How do I stop him from doing it anymore, train him outside only?

Do puppy training pads work on adult dogs? If so how do I use them?

Any help will be fantastic.

If someone is home with the dog, there are several things I can think of..

restricting the dog's access to only rooms with people in!

using an 'umbilical' leash.. a 6 foot leash, attached to a human at all times.

taking dog out every hour..and praising when he toilets :thumbsup:

Using a 'belly band'.. which is like a boob tube thingy..when the dog pees..it stays in the bellyband and is a bit uncomfortable :thumbsup:

It is a matter of being continually vigilant..and not allowing the dog a chance to make a mistake!

it will be intensive work for a little while :(

Is he emptying his bladder or marking?

Okay, this is going to make me sound silly, but please bare in mind this is also my first male dog - how do tell the difference when you don't see them do it?

I haven't been able to catch him in the act inside to see the behaviour leading up to the event. But when I let him off at a off leash park, there's of course the extensive sniffing of trees, branches etc then the pee then the occassional scratch at the ground - I know most of them are marking.

I know when he first gets let out in the morning, he is emptying - but that's obvious because he hasn't been outside for 8 hrs, and to date I have never seen any pee in the area he sleeps in (which is a section of hallway blocked with a baby gate at one end, and our room with an open door at the other end of the hallway).

He gets let in to hang out with us when we get home from work. I'd like to get him to a point where we don't have to supervise him inside at all, which about a week ago we started to give him a little more freedom, and he seems to have worked it out also cause thats about when we started to notice urine on the tiles/walls/furniture.

I like to give him some independence so he his allowed to wonder the house, but certain rooms are out of bounds so those doors stay closed. He always comes when I call him to where ever I am in the house at the time.

Edited by callee

Callee:

Okay, this is going to make me sound silly, but please bare in mind this is also my first male dog - how do tell the difference when you don't see them do it?

Is he leaving a puddle of urine or something less that that? Unless you're seeing puddles, I'd say he's marking.

A belly band and closer supervision would be the go if that's the case.. you need to correct the behaviour when you see it.

Sounds as if he is marking all his 'new' territory.

That does sound quite plausible.

So, am I safe assuming that he will stop "marking" (if thats what this is about) evetually?

Is there a spray that will deter him (and not stain the white painted walls - I hate renting)?

Edited by callee

Is there a spray that will deter him (and not stain the white painted walls - I hate renting)?

Not that I know of.... I agree with this

A belly band and closer supervision would be the go if that's the case.. you need to correct the behaviour when you see it.

Callee:

Is he leaving a puddle of urine or something less that that? Unless you're seeing puddles, I'd say he's marking.

Not a real puddle, no. So looks like I have a marking issue.

Will look into a belly band - recommendations as to where to get one from in the Brisbane area, or via on-line ordering? Has anyone found this helps the situation, or is just a bandaid/training aid?

And obviously revoke his freedom for a while.

Agree with keeping him on a leash under your close supervision.

When you are taking him outside to toilet - put a command with it ... something like go "Toilet". Start doing that everytime he toilets.

Makes life easier when you need to take him outside in the rain or cold to have a command that he understands.

I am sure my neighbours are sick of hearing "Go Toilet", "Good Toilet" or "do you need to do Numbers 2's" at all hours of the night

Edited by Tilly

Agree with keeping him on a leash under your close supervision.

When you are taking him outside to toilet - put a command with it ... something like go "Toilet". Start doing that everytime he toilets.

Makes life easier when you need to take him outside in the rain or cold to have a command that he understands.

I am sure my neighbours are sick of hearing "Go Toilet", "Good Toilet" or "do you need to do Numbers 2's" at all hours of the night

:thumbsup: My neighbours already get that out of us - 9.30pm I'm in the backyard with him for his last visit to the trees to make sure he goes before we shut up for the night "Demon, Toilet ...... Toilet ...... Toilet good boy!" Then 5.30 in the morning.

I'm sure the other night I heard the neighbour say "Weirdo." :thumbsup: I figure if parents with human babies are allowed to praise their children for using a potty, I can praise mine for using a tree.