Neighbours Pup Had Parvo

Our neighbour has just told us her pup has been at the vet recovering from parvo. What precautions should I be taking to ensure our furkids don't get it? My girl is up to date on her vacs, but my parents old boy isn't.

Make sure you neighbours wash their hands and take their shoes off before the come into your house and in contact with your dogs.

Don't take your dogs over to their house.

I think that there is a very very bad strain of parvo going through all of the Victorian pounds (RSPCA & Lost Dogs Home included) at the moment.

Don't revaccinate unless you can have the dog elsewhere for a couple of weeks while the immune system gets up to speed. Vaccinating knocks out the immune responses for a window of time, which differs from dog to dog. Most vets recommend a week.

Personally I'd be getting the disinfectant that kills parvo (F10?) and going heavy with it on the property border (fence line) and out the front of the house and on the walkway/paths. I think bleach can also be used.

Also if the neighbours visit - shoes off, wash hands with the disinfectant but still would not be welcome near the dogs, especially any very old or very young ones.

It's scary and horrible for your neighbours.

Our neighbours are of the 'disposable dog' types. Luckily we don't have much to do with them, but my girl likes to kiss the puppy through the fence so she's been banned from that.

:happydance: I would be putting up a fence inside your fence so that your dogs can get no where near the nextdoor neighbours.

Yes F10 is what most vets use to disinfect.