Sardines As A Training Reward, Please Say It Isn't So

Well I have just cooked up tiny bits of liver and kidney for training. OMG the smell is rank. Thank heavens its in the freezer now. So off I go with a bag with tiny bits of kidney, liver, cheese, coles sausage, kabanos and lovely orange glazed Barossa ham. Honestly I dont know what was worse, cooking the stuff or cutting it into teeny weeny bits. The dog thinks is fantastic !!!!

just thinking,you could always buy a tin of sardine cat food too and place in a small container and use a nibble out of the container as a reward.I have done this with cat food and a couple of licks = 1 REWARD

Well I have just cooked up tiny bits of liver and kidney for training. OMG the smell is rank. Thank heavens its in the freezer now. So off I go with a bag with tiny bits of kidney, liver, cheese, coles sausage, kabanos and lovely orange glazed Barossa ham. Honestly I dont know what was worse, cooking the stuff or cutting it into teeny weeny bits. The dog thinks is fantastic !!!!

Ewww I did this once and only once many many years ago! I was not allowed in the kitchen (nor did I want to go in there) for sometime after that incident.

I am intending to make some sardine treats (Much like the tuna brownies someone else mentioned) which will hopefully be less smelly and messy!

Hi all I MAKE MY OWN TUNA BALLS

I use the left over crumbs in the bottom of my weetbix pkt

breadcrumbs

can tuna in oil

2 eggs

mix shape into balls and freeze

I take out of freezer approx 20mins before training but if I am training away from home I put in a small freeze lunch box with ice brick and they and just right to train ---but you need to make them big to make them stay semi frozen I make them size 10c piece for small dog and break as to size wanted.

they love them get great results -but don't use everytime so they remain a treat

hope that helps someone ---Glorybea

Try sardines in tomato sauce - they love these even more :mad

Strictly a Devon, Cheese, or Raw chicken bloke!! If it got to Sardines and Tom Sauce think I would give it up n go train my horse!!

Edited by Bull Arab

Shake a very small amount of sardines in a plastic container and leave overnight with some fishy dry food. Dry food we use is Eagle holistic sardines and salmon . My dog will do any thing for this mix.

And it is not as wet and fishy. But you might find you attract all the other dogs at training too. Especially if you are the "post" :D :) :)

Edited by newfsie

I don't put sardines or mackrel in the pockets of my training pants but almost anything else goes...raw heart, cooked chicken, liver treats, cheese cubes, chunkers.

However, my friend's dog has to do a solid ring run out and he gets a whole tin of sardines.