Getting Ready For Ccd

Hi guys, well Charlotte is my very first dog which i am going to Trial. I have never done anything with dogs other than teaching basic commands. Now comes time where we are getting ready for trialling in CCD. I am asking for suggestions...

My GR does quite well but a minor set back we have is I do treat her what are suggestions in weaning her off treats as i believe we cant talk to our dog except when exercise is over?? My dog responds extremely well to my voice so wondering how i can go about the fact of no treats in the ring.

The only things i need treats for really is only her Recall and occassionally her drop she flat out refuses.

With SFE is there a way to getting the dog to not move their feet when i give hand signal she tends to move a couple extra steps in group training classes we're having some problems with her not doing everything as good as she used to yet when i practice on our own at the park she does everything i ask of her.

Any help much appreciated :hitself:

Having trained Beagles for trialling I use food rewards. I never weaned them entirely off food rewards during training sessions.

However, I only reward for exceptional things once they know an exercise. So I start reducing rewards by giving them at different times as long as the result was what I wanted. Then I start extending the time between treats. Eventually they get a "jackpot" at the end of the training session. So they would get a substantial food reward after doing a ring run out. If the run out goes terribly they don't get the "jackpot". However, I always finish a training session on a positive and do something else to ensure they get the "jackpot".

Once my dogs are at the "jackpot" stage I always show them the "jackpot" before training (and then before entering the trial ring) so they know. However, you want to always make sure you get the lead back from the steward as quickly as possible because they are keen to get the "jackpot".

Perhpas stand right in front of your dog to do the signal exercises if she is moving. It sounds like she may be using her front legs to change positions. If you can teach her to use her hind legs she should move less.