Resource Guarding

Max has started this thing where he wants any toy that Stella has - if she is showing any interest in a particular toy he decides - "that's it, I want it".. "gotta have that now". Stella being so non confrontational and submissive to any dog - just let's him have it. Now at the Park with dogs he knows that we often walk together with, he is wanting their toys, sticks, balls. Funny thing once he has them he just holds onto them and doesn't really show interest in playing with them as such. He just wants to 'guard' them. Strange for a staffy but I think he has dominant tendencies and just wants to 'win' all the time.

Can dogs be trained out of this sort of behaviour? It's getting to the point where I can't have him off leash because he wants every other dogs stick or toy and is starting want to fight for them :rofl:

Idea's anyone?

you need to step in at home. This is not unnatural behavior and not breed specific. You need to let him know he cannot have everything he wants. Supervise toy time and if he takes it off her, take it off him, give it back and put him somewhere else. Make sure he has his own toy but do not let him just take whatever he wants.

at the park keep him on lead and if he goes for a toy correct him. I would be working on making 'toy time' commanded - get the toy! and then 'leave it' so if he has it and you command him he has to drop it. Working through prey can be good for this, maybe getting a trainer in to help you is the way to go :) you just dont want him to meet a dog very similar to himself at the dog park or they could get into a fight

Thanks! Have ordered the book.. anything that will help me solve this before something happens! Thanks so much!! :crossfingers:

If the dog is young, as he appears to bein the photo on your profile, then it is very possible that what you are seeing is normal behaviour; part of a young dog feeling out his place in the social order of the pack and probing the boundaries.

The behaviour in question must be vieed in context of the overall social interaction you are witnessing, and also in context of the overall relationship between the two dogs (and also yourself!).

There may be an element of co-dominace involved, as there often is between 2 dogs that are prt of the same household.

If you have any real concern I suggest you have an experienced professional or a friend who has a learned opinion you trust have a look at the situation and give you some guidance.

If you are not dealing with the problem in a manner consistent with getting the outcome you desire then you are very possibly making the issue worse by inadvertantly sending the wrong message.

If you are using books to gain further understanding that is a fantastic and positive step, however I would suggest reading at least 2 separte books in order to have a little more background knowwledge.

Best of luck with it all, and if I can be of any further help let me know.

Brad