Another Dry Food Question

shells

I have 2 quick questions :rofl:

Is the first ingredient listed on dry food packaging the "main" ingredient of the dog food?

and

If you had a choice of feeding Advance or Innova puppy which food would you choose? I can get them both for roughly the same price. My puppies are on Advance now (and like it - as much as they like dry food) but they also enjoyed the free sample of the Innova I got.

I know Advance is Aussie made and I also know buying the Innova means I am supporting Pets Paradise but the ingredient listing on the Innova was very impressive.

Eagle Pack and Artemis is very hard to come by here in Canberra and $$$$.

WDYT????

Yes the main ingredient is listed first. I won't feed Innova for the reason you said. I've bought Artemis online and had it delivered from Victoria to NSW cheaper than buying Eagle Pack locally :laugh:

Edited by Gretel

For one thing...meat being hte first ingredient isn't always a good indicator. Some products list the meat content while fresh...so including the water/moisture content - so meat and water is the first ingredient. Other products list their meat content once the water has been removed and the meat is dehydrated - so gives a better indication of the meat content which may still be at the front of the list or not.

However all products before the fat/oil addition is what mostly makes up the food - if the meat is after that on the list it might as well be a vege version...lol.

There are other products out there as good as Innova - and i wouldn't use them purely because i don't like PP. But Advance is a perfectly good food - decide how your dogs are going and go from there.

Thanks.

I might keep them on the Advance. They regularly get a chicken wing and some mashed veggies and the vet (on thursday) said they look great.

The first ingredient in the Advance is chicken and chicken meal so I was hoping it was the main ingredient.

I live in Canberra and have Artemis delivered to my door from Pookinuk in Melbourne. Delivery costs $5 no matter how much you order.

The courier just leaves it in the garage.

[Poodlefan does not derive any benefit from spruiking Artemis or Pookinuk :) ]

I'd gnaw my own foot off before I'd contribute to the profits of PP. :)

Edited by poodlefan

i just like the pookinuk site cos it says "Pookinuk" in that cute lil voice!!!

Me too - makes the dogs cock their heads cutely when they hear it.

I like that some money from each order goes to a charity of your choice too - I chose Petrescue. :)

i just like the pookinuk site cos it says "Pookinuk" in that cute lil voice!!!

Me too - makes the dogs cock their heads cutely when they hear it.

I like that some money from each order goes to a charity of your choice too - I chose Petrescue. :)

didnt know that. very cool :)

I live in Canberra and have Artemis delivered to my door from Pookinuk in Melbourne. Delivery costs $5 no matter how much you order.

Excellent. I might buy a small bag and see how they go. I have seen the ingredient list online and Artemis looks good too.

ok kids, i recently made up some Veggie Mush, including Broccolli, I have just re-read the General Health Tips sticky and it says it is toxic in large quantities and will cause tummy upset. If I feed my Veg mush including broc twice a week, is it too much?

ok kids, i recently made up some Veggie Mush, including Broccolli, I have just re-read the General Health Tips sticky and it says it is toxic in large quantities and will cause tummy upset. If I feed my Veg mush including broc twice a week, is it too much?

That should be okay for them :confused: I used to put a bit of broccolli in my veggie mix.

That should be okay for them :confused: I used to put a bit of broccolli in my veggie mix.

thanks Gretel :bolt: i figured as they had already eaten it and are still alive that it must not be too bad!!