Arthritis In Kelpie X - 13 Yrs Old

Hi - I mostly post about our kelpie puppy but as you can see from my sig we also have a 13 yo kelpie x that i rescued at 12 months old - they originally told her she was rottweiler/BC X but...........

....anyway she has recently become very slow and has been diagnosed with arthritis in her joints, particularly her right shoulder. We currently have her on Previcox - 1 tablet daily - and Sashas Blend - 6 capsules daily.

This has helped her to move more freely and she still has the occasional little happy dance time but she walks strangely - I assume because it is less painful for her - her front legs are close together and her back legs wide apart - if that makes sense.

She can still jump onto the couch and spends the vast majority of her day asleep or dozing on there - so - my question- is there anything else I could / should be doing to make her more comfortable - she seems generally content.

Thanks all :rofl:

Edited by Kelpiepupmum

I wouldn't let her jump on and off things as this impacts on the joints in a big way. Doggie steps could fix this problem.

If she is carrying any extra weight at all get it off her.

Massage, physio etc could be helpful.

Making sure she has a good bed that is not on a cold surface or in the way of any cold draughts.

Cartrophen injections might be of use.

You could also talk to your vet about other alternatives to Previcox that might be more helpful for her.

As Puggy said, no jumping, remove excess weight.

Massage/accupuncture can help.

I prefer Joint Guard to Sashas Blend after trying both, but each dog is diffferent.

Also Cartrophen injections, you can do these monthly if the dog is very bad.

I found Previcox wonderful on one Bullie but didn't do much on another, again each dog is different. The side effects of Previcox are not as bad as with the Metacam/Rimadyl etc...

Glucosamine would help, yes. But i think it would only help slight problems.

My 15yo Lab/Kelpie is on a fairly strict diet. She is JUST on ok, if not probably needs a kg on. But this way i know its not hurting her joints like a 'typical' labrador fattyboomba frame LOL

She is on cartrophen injections every couple months. I honestly have seen a difference, but it varies between dogs. I would try it. Price varies on weight but i pay $22 per shot. Molly had one every wk for 4wks, then few monthly after that. Yes, some dogs need it monthly and i plan to put her onto that when she needs it.

I hope this helps. I am sure others out there can give suggestions too. And as an added comment, oldies are the best. so lovely and reliable :laugh:

*hugs to bonnie*

Thanks all - will try her on Joint Guard and will ask the vet about the cartrophen injections too - she could do with losing a few kgs I think - she is fairly solid - so - a lite dog food? any suggestions?

Thanks all - will try her on Joint Guard and will ask the vet about the cartrophen injections too - she could do with losing a few kgs I think - she is fairly solid - so - a lite dog food? any suggestions?

Best lite food I have had great success with is Bonnie Light. It's the only time I feed dry - when the boy needs to lose weight. I wish there was something as good for humans! :laugh: